Unique Homebrew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpottsy56

Reaction score
Hey all,

So my local microbrewery just posted on Facebook about a homebrew contest that they will be holding in early April. The way they are doing it is a little bit different, though...

Here are the specs: They provide you 5 gallons of wort and you take it from there. The only thing they say you can't do is add any water. They did not specify anything about the wort like OG, malt bill, or hops added in. I asked about that on their FB post but am waiting for a reply...

That being said, if you were presented with a batch of wort with only this information given, what would you do? How would you get creative with it? I haven't ever seen a contest formatted in this way, so either i'm out of the loop or this is something that is just unique...

What do you guys think?

Brad

So, you get a pre-made wort. Malt, mash and kettle hop additions pre-determined. You get to play with: Yeast selection, fermentation temperatures, dry hop additions, fermentation additions (fermentables and non-fermentables), finings, carbonation levels. Anything else?

As for suggestions? Well, I hear that bacon is all the rage...

Very interesting. I feel like they are not providing enough of info though... if it's already 5 gallons of wort that you can't dilute I would have several questions:

Was it already boiled?
If not how much needs to be provided to the contest (i.e. additional boil down to 4 gallons...)?
What IBU is this wort at?

You can figure out OG and rough SRM, but it'd be nice to have a few more details before you have at it.

You are definitely in ale territory given the time constraint

Add lactose, vanilla, cinnamon, strawberries, a habanero, dry hop it to death and oak it.

UNIQUE.

Os this pre or post boil wort? Already hopped? And how are they defining water? Are you just not allowed to dilute? If water is banned entirely then making hop teas or grain teas or post sugar additions or even priming sugar would be banned.

I found the brewery in Kenosha Wi doing this (not hard) and they're boiling it. The rules say no fresh water added to what they give you. It literally says "NO NEW WATER". The face page says "below you can read wort composition" but they don't tell you what the wort composition is. They just want people to take their base wort and make a beer out of it. They're getting together after fermentation and tasting everything. Sounds like a fun event for $10.

Our home brew club is doing something similiar on April 11th. Adventure Brewing in Stafford, VA supplies 6 gallons of wort. $10 for brew club members and $15 for non-members. You supply hops and yeast, but have to pitch yeast off site because of the ABC laws. As an added twist when you buy in you get a special ingredient you must incorporate into the beer. Sounds like a fun time and I am looking forward to it. They haven't put out a lot of info so I am not sure what the wort composition will be.

I would make several beers from it, small batches. Try an American Ale yeast, a British, a Belgian. Dry hop accordingly. Use 3787 for the Belgian and make two: a pale and a dubbel by adding dark candi syrup.

Your contest was an inspiration... my son and I are taking part in a big brew day today and storms will like roll thru before it's over...so we both made wort yesterday and all we have to do today is boil... :) We'll be out of there before the storms hit.
-"several small batches" is a good idea for you. :)

Back