Unibrau Mini SMaSH Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhuff

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted in these forums, but I just got my Unibrau system today, so I am going to brew a Centennial SMaSH tomorrow. I do half batches, and can't wait to get started with this easier way to brew AG. The water testing of it tonight went great! I will post some pics to this thread tomorrow.
Here is my grain bill and hop schedule:
5lbs of pilsner
Centennial Hops
.1 oz @ 60min
.1 oz @ 45min
.3 oz @ 30min
.3 oz @ 15min
.2 oz @ flameout

I am resisting the temptation to add 4oz of victory malt, but will hold true to the SMaSH.

Thanks for allowing me to share!
-Jay

Just a suggestion. Most of the bittering from hops happens in the first 30 minutes so your 60, 45, and 30 minute additions are primarily bittering additions and could all be lumped together. Your 15 minute addition will add bittering and flavor but mostly bittering. I'd probably rearrange the schedule to .3 oz at 60, .2 oz at 15, .3 oz at 5 or maybe added to flameout, depending on how fast you can chill the wort as bittering is still happening clear down to 170F. or lower.

I understand your wanting to add Victory hops and why you are not. How about changing out the Pilsner for Munich or Maris Otter?

Great suggestions on the hop schedule. I was breaking the hops out based on an ending IBU. The longer the hops stay in there, the higher it went according to the calculator. I might combine a few of the additions to see.

I am hoping to mimic a local beer by using the pilsner. I love Munich and Maris Otter, so adding the Victory would help with the body. Will update as I go this morning.

Well after firing things up, I decided to change up the grainbill and not do a SMaSH. I will do what RM-MN recommends and do that with MO or Munich.
Here is what I did:
4lbs Pilsner
.5 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lbs Flaked Corn
.3 lbs Victory Malt
.25 lbs Crystal 20L
.2 Torrified WHeat

Centennial .5 oz @45 min
Centennial .5 oz @15 min

Looks great and hit all numbers dead on. 1.062 OG and Nottingham Yeast is pitched. It was a great first experience with my new Unibrau setup!

Half batch, so around 2.5g? I was curious how small batches would work on the new Unibrau system

So my pre-boil OG was 1.030 and my final OG was 1.062. After adjusting for temp, it came out at a78.8% efficiency! Highest I have ever gotten. I am about to keg it this weekend and will pull a FG in the next day or so. Very happy with the brewing system. I will post some pics from my phone of the brew day. Only got a few because I was so pumped I forgot to take them.

Yes this is a 2.5 gal batch. This isn't the newest system I bought. I got the one that was on clearance and it is perfect for half batches. I sometimes do 1 gal test batches, and I don't think those will go well as the grain basket sits too high to get coverage by the water. Not sure though.

Here are the pics. The first one is the water testing of the system the day I got it delivered.

IMG-1363.jpg

IMG-1364.jpg

IMG-1365.jpg

IMG-1366.jpg

IMG-1367.jpg

Latest posts

Back