Unhappy Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
Well I placed an order from Austin Homebrew Supply last Wednesday and I could have sworn I entered a note in the shipping comments to hold for shipping until Monday or Tuesday as it usually takes 3 days to process. Turns out the order processed on Thursday and left to the UPS hub FRiday night.

So the yeast has been sitting someplace for 3 days so far and is expected to deliver on Wednesday of this week.

How can I tell if this yeast survived the trip? If i made a starter i guess that would show me if the yeast has grown?

any ideas?

I was really worried about this when I first started ordering yeast online and living in Florida. Out of Dozens of vials of white labs yeast and several shipments sitting over weekends, I've never had yeast arrive dead. I would definitely recommend making a starter because the viability probably suffered, but it probably won't arrive completely dead.

ok just got my yeast, stuck it in the fridge and making a starter tomorrow. hope all goes well!

Back