Unfortunate ending for a mouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
I traveled to Minneapolis last week for work, but before I left I swapped out some kegs in my keezer. Since the new kegs were room temp, I knew the keezer would be running a bit so I pointed an industrial-looking floor fan at it (to help dissipate the heat) before I left on my trip . Fast forward to Friday evening and I go out to the garage to grab something, and I ever so lightly nudged the still running fan with my foot. I hear a "tink, tink, tink" sound and look down to see tiny tufts of hair protruding from the blade guard. This time of year, when the nighttime temperatures start to get colder, I tend to get at least one mouse in my garage. I'd been putting out traps the past couple weeks baited with peanut butter. I'm not sure why, but for some reason this little guy decided to bypass the peanut butter and jump into this whirling guillotine of death which proved to be his ultimate demise. Even though the end result was the same as it would have been had he chosen peanut butter, I couldn't help but feel bad for the little guy. At least it ended quickly...a lot quicker compared to how long it took me to take apart and clean the fan.

Did you hit up any breweries?

I did, I made it to Surly. It was a good time, both the food and the beer were awesome. I was hoping to go to a couple other breweries, but with the training schedule and the fact that I was traveling with three non-drinkers, it just didn't work out. I have to go back again sometime after the first of the year, so I'm planning on hitting more then.

And who says you can't build a better mouse trap?

Right!?!? Another proven one is the grain bucket under my mill. They jump up on the motor, then into the bucket but they can't jump high enough to get out of the bucket. And that's why I always check the bucket before I start milling.

Set a trap the other night. Wife asked if it caught anything. I look. No mouse, and no peanut butter.

I tell her this just to make her even more skittish about a mouse that can effectively avoid being trapped.

Then the daughter says she found the mouse in the trap that morning and took it outside for disposal. I'm proud of her for not having her mom's aversion to small critters. Probably because she owned a few gerbils when she was younger (which her mother just LOVED, as you can imagine!!)

Even though our two cats are proud hunters, we still have a few mice poking around in the house now that it's getting cooler out. Apparently they aren't smart enough to avoid our area and the cats. It's only a matter of time.

I tried rewarding the cats with beer, but they don't seem to like it.

Back