Unexpectedly high attenuation in cider with Wyeast 4184 (Sweet Mead)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renoun

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to brewing and have made several batches of cider this fall mostly with champagne and ale yeasts. They have been turning out well but I was feeling experimental so I pitched Wyeast 4184 in several small batches to see if it would produce a cider without fermenting it completely dry.

I pitched into several growlers with various Pasteurized juices from a local orchard just after New Year's that had an OG around 1.05 with additions of yeast nutrient and peptic peptic enzyme. I let them ferment in a portion of my basement that is in the mid-sixties at the low end of the 65F-75F recommended fermentation temperature. After watching the fermentation slow dramatically for a week or so I took hydrometer readings on Sunday and discovered that they were all sitting at 0.98. I wouldn't expect this from a strain that is supposed to leave 2%-3% residual sugars. Is this because typical OG of meads is much higher? I'll be keeping a much closer eye on the apple-cherry cider I started with an OG of 1.08 that is still fermenting.

Wyeast Product Info.
One of two strains for mead making. Leaves 2-3% residual sugar in most meads. Rich, fruity profile complements fruit mead fermentation. Use additional nutrients for mead making.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: NA
Temperature Range: 65-75°F, 18-24°C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV
Styles:
Braggot
Common Cider
Cyser (Apple Melomel)
Metheglin
Open Category Mead
Other Fruit Melomel
Semi-sweet Mead
Strawberry, Cherry, Peach, etc.
Sweet Mead

I spent some more time searching and found posts in the Cider Forum describing experiences of 4184 fermenting dry. I guess despite reading that thread many times I missed the reference. It was suggested that when used in cider it is a yeast that is very difficult to cold crash, doesn't clear as well, and requires long bottle aging. Good thing I washed Nottingham out of my previous batch, I think I'm going to keep using it.

Back