Understanding Glycol, please help with Brewhemoth cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I am currently trying to cold crash 20 gallons of Hefeweizen using my new Brewhemoth fermenter. This is the first time I've used it and I'm having a hard time cold crashing it. I currently have a pump sitting in 34 degree water with the tubes running from my chest freezer through the immersion chiller in the Brewhemoth. So far it's been trying to cold crash for a day and a half with the results being as follows:

Day 1 at night, dropped from 70 degrees to 59
Day 2 in the morning dropped from 59 degrees to 54
Day 2 at night dropped from 54 degrees to 49

So, it is dropping but very slowly. My question is, if I put glycol in with the water solution in my chest freezer, how far below freezing do you think I'll be able to get the water/glycol solution? I still need to drop this another 15 degrees or so before any kind of cold crashing will take place.

Hefe yeasts are usually horrible at floccing, dont think youll have an easy time droping it at any temp...

Also @49* your in essence cold crashing since its lower than the manufactered temp range.

Yeah, the flocculation thing worries me but I don't want some yeast in my hefe. I just don't know what else to do beside filter and I personally don't want to filter.

Hefe yeasts are usually horrible at floccing, dont think youll have an easy time droping it at any temp...

Also @49* your in essence cold crashing since its lower than the manufactered temp range.

Yeah, the flocculation thing worries me but I don't want some yeast in my hefe. I just don't know what else to do beside filter and I personally don't want to filter.

You do realize "hefe" means yeast in German?
Here they also have Kristal Weissbier which is filtered Hefeweizen.

Long story short, if you want yeast-free Hefeweizen, you'll have to filter it...

Yes, and I do indeed want a non filtered beer with yeast in it, however when I took my sample out of my conical there is a ton of yeast. I was hoping to be able to dump about half of it.

You do realize "hefe" means yeast in German?
Here they also have Kristal Weissbier which is filtered Hefeweizen.

Long story short, if you want yeast-free Hefeweizen, you'll have to filter it...

Back