Underattenuated Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
I brewed Jamil's 60 Shilling Scotch Ale and it is a little bit underattenuated. The final calculated abv is around 2.2%. I think the taste is pretty decent from the samples I have pulled, but I am concerned about the extremely low alcohol content.

Should I attempt to add another .5% alcohol?
How- add some table sugar and rouse the yeas?

How long has it been fermenting? What are the OG and your latest SG readings? What yeast strain? What was your fermentation temperature?

Also, how did you measure OG? If you do partial boils (like me), if you don't mix your top off water in thoroughly enough you can draw a sample that's either lighter or heavier than it should be had the wort been properly mixed.

I used the Mangrove Jack Workhorse yeast. My first time experimenting with it. I did an All-Grain mash at 158, so it was supposed to end up with a high FG. I pitched straight into the carbon without rehydrating, but I had krausen the next day.

The 60 schilling was a small beer to begin with- 1.031 starting gravity. The beer fermented mostly out in about 2 days (brewed Sunday). I have taken gravity readings with my hydrometer the last couple of days. 1.018 Tuesday, 1.015 Wednesday, and 1.015 today. The yeast had dropped out completely- as in crystal clear- in the carbon by Wednesday night.

I pulled a pint with my thief and I think it tastes decent. My main concern is whether 2.2% is high enough to get the beer character or not. I know Jamil has said there is a low point you should be a over but I can't remember if it was 2 or 2.5.

I'm only thinking of bumping up abv to about 2.7.

Back