Under pitched - add another packet after a few hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
For some reason I failed to pay attention to my yeast calculations yesterday and I pitched 1 re-hydrated package of US05 in my 5.5g double IPA which had an OG of 1.072. Looking at some calculators online I'm thinking I should have done a starter or used 2 packets.

I do have another packet I can add but it's been about 12 hours since I pitched the first yeast. Any advice on pitching the second packet?

Go ahead and pitch. The yeast from the first pitch is still in the growth phase so the alcohol threshold to inhibit new cell budding won't be reached for quit awhile.

edit: Pitch rehydrated.

If the the yeast is fresh, I'd just let it ride personally. According to Mr. Malty, you'd need 1.3 packets, which means you're not underpitching too drastically.

If your yeast is old, or you just really want to, use good sanitization techniques, re-hydrate and pitch directly into the wort. I wouldn't aerate again.

Unless you kept out all oxygen your yeast you added have propagated so much that adding another packet at this time will have negligible effect. Save the packet for the next batch.

If the the yeast is fresh, I'd just let it ride personally. According to Mr. Malty, you'd need 1.3 packets, which means you're not underpitching too drastically.

If your yeast is old, or you just really want to, use good sanitization techniques, re-hydrate and pitch directly into the wort. I wouldn't aerate again.

It was .3 that had me worried since I have no feel for how that will affect things. The yeast was fresh so I might let it ride. But I need to pay more attention next time.

Well it's Thursday and I brewed this on Saturday and I still hear a slow but steady bubble. Normally I hear nothing after this long. I think it will be fine.

Back