Under counter fridge/freezer for bar build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynapse

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking to build a mobile bar on castors out in my garage/man cave. I had my intentions set on a Keezer but my parents have a big slab of unused granite I could use for a nice bar countertop. I was considering cooling for the kegs and I'm not sure what would make for a good under cabinet horizontal refrigerator or freezer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I know I could probably just get a larger chest freezer and use it as a bar but I'd prefer cabinet opening access instead of having to lift open the top of the chest fridge each time.

Thanks for any input!

I'm actually going through the same dilemna... I'm in the middle of building a bar, and have been contimplating what to do with it.

If you get a taller mini-fridge and remove the door shelves, you can get 2 corny kegs in. Then you could plumb up through the bar and put a stack on top.

I agree, the hard part about a keezer is that you need a way to open the lid from above... I did see one really cool keezer build that had the keezer on drawer slides that slid out so it could open. Can't find the link now... maybe somebody else can track it down?

So if I do a keezer, I'm doing a seperate one, and doing a little counterspace/buffet table on the other wall of the man-cave. From what I have found, any taller mini-fridge (4 cubic feet or so), you should be able to modify to get 2 cornys in it.

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I am searching for a solution to store more kegs, like 4-5, plus my 10 lb CO2 tank, so it is going to have to be bigger than the standard under cabinet beverage/wine fridges. =/

I went through this when I decided to put a tower in my bar top. Given the space constraints I thought about building a custom framed insulated box. And then stripping the compressor and coolant lines out of an old fridge or a larger mini fridge. Seemed like way too much effort for something that might not work that great. Instead I found a Haier kegerator with a single tap on craigslist. It fit 3 cornies and a 5lb co2 tank without any problem. It fit under my bar, and I made an insulated pass to get the beer lines to the three tap tower on my bar. If I built a small collar on the kegerator door I could fit even fit one ore corny.

Another option for you might be to find a used true brand keg cabinet on craigslist. They come up in my area all the time. Can be a little pricey sometimes though.

Thanks for the info, Slarkin. I might actually try to do the kegerator route, if I can in fact fit 4 kegs and CO2 in it. I may just drill a hole in the kegerator also and put the CO2 outside of the fridge to make room.

I looked for a True fridge and yeah, they may be a bit more than I want to spend. Found a decent 4' one for $900 but I'm not sure I want to invest more than maybe $400 or so in the refrigeration if possible.

Latest posts

Back