Unboxing the Nano from CO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have a question for folks: Who likes their sight glass? It seems pretty useless to me since I measure my liquid in kettle it never fully integrates with the rest of the wort. I'm considering adding a whirpool arm or just closing it off. Any suggestions?

I'm on the fence. I bought a steel ruler to measure volume and I prefer to use it since a few websites like Priceless BIAB calculator will give estimates in inches for your kettle. Plus to be accurate you need to adjust volume by temperature and that can only be done with a rule I think.

The one good thing is you can easily see if the pump is draining too fast on a 5g batch in a 20g kettle. Other than that I'm not using it for volume.

I did get some plugs to help clean the kettle after taking the probe and heating element out. You could get these caps and pretend it wasn't there. I also saw a brewery that replaced it with rubber hose.

For those interested I tried to document my brew day times similar to the other poster. Here goes:

12:30 - start adding water using two single gallon jugs - configure new pH monitor while jugs are filling
1:00 - done with water and pH meter, adjust grain mill and start to mill grain while water heats to 154
1:33 - water at 154 add grains, stir
1:44 - mash start
2:44 - mash done, hoist grains to drain, set temp to 168
3:00 - stop grains from dripping, set heat element to 95% (should have done that at mash end)
3:25 - boil start, clean basket, clean grains
4:25 - boil end, start whirlpool for 5 min (might go longer next time)
4:35 - stop whirlpool, let settle for 5 min (might need this to be longer also)
4:42 - start filling first carboy
4:46 - start filling 2nd carboy
4:53 - end filling both carboys, start cleaning
6:03 - end first wave of cleaning which includes a 6g rinse cycle of PBW at 110 degrees (I made some mistakes here so this took long)

After this I come back in 30 minutes and drain, then add more water to run a rinse cycle, then come back later to add Starsan and drain

Here are a few tips/ideas from my brew day today.

1. Calibrate the probe. I think mine is off by 3 degrees. The instructions are a bit crazy but I think I'm going to at least check with an ice water bath to make sure. Can't believe I didn't think to do this before.
  2. Check your evaporation rate. I think my numbers are way off because my evaporation rate is nothing what I thought it would be. I'm getting a good strong boil but my gravity readings are not moving like they used to when I had propane. I'm going to run a test and see if things have changed now that I'm using electric. Doesn't make sense to me but it can't hurt to try.
  3. Setting the grain mill to 045 seems to work, at least with the first time I tried it. I'm going to stick with it.

Nice! @pretzelb that's the best deal on caps I've seen. I take a measurement and temp when I draw a sample and adjust. I tested my probe and it was reading fine.

Weather I knew was going to effect evap I just couldn't have guessed how much. Not unusual to have to add back water at the end of boil. I think my initial water was low but workable.

This hot garage is going to screw with everything for a bit.

For calibration, I would aim to calibrate it at boiling since you will be using the probe mostly from 145F to boiling. Ice water is better than nothing, but if you can do it at a higher temp I think it would be most accurate.

I agree that some calibration (ice water) is better than nothing, and also that calibrating on the high end (where you plan to use it most often is better). However, don't forget that boiling isn't always 212 degrees. It's dependent on your altitude and also the barometric pressure. Boil at my house is 206 + or - a degree or two depending on the pressure.

Managed to sneak in a brew after work last night, something I never would have dreamed of before.
5G, 70% efficiency (consistent with first batch!), less than 4 hours.
I mashed in at 8:15 and was totally cleaned and yeast pitched before midnight. I still think I can shave 15 or so minutes without getting in a hurry, but this time is amazing if you consider 60 minute mash and boil. Plus I did a 15 minute whirlpool hop addition.

Just got an email this morning. Mine should be here on Friday!
Are you guys just using the water calculation sheet that CBS has or something else?

Are you guys just using the water calculation sheet that CBS has or something else?
I have yet to get my email notification. Ordered May 5th and was told last week it would be shipping this week. :rockin:

I'm looking for dimensions on the 15 gallon kettle and basket. If someone who owns one could give me the following I'd really appreciate it!

Kettle:
Interior Diameter
Interior Depth

Basket:
Exterior Diameter
Exterior Depth

Thanks in advance :mug:

I'm looking for dimensions on the 15 gallon kettle and basket. If someone who owns one could give me the following I'd really appreciate it!

Kettle:
Interior Diameter
Interior Depth

Basket:
Exterior Diameter
Exterior Depth

Thanks in advance :mug:
For kettle dimensions search Concord pots.

I use it and so far it's been ok. If anything I've been a little under with water needed so I've kept some in reserve just in case I need to add more at boil. What I've been having issues with is not enough boil off. Today is a 1 batch day, getting ready to get started after checking all my usual morning emails and facebook and here. :)

Upcoming months will be a whirlwind of brewing!

Got my CBS today. Did a water test after hooking everything up and only had a small leak where I screwed on the sight glass, probably just needs a little pipe tape. The only thing that was missing was the chugger pump. On the packing slip it said "ships UPS" so I'm assuming it will show up at some point.

Got my CBS today. Did a water test after hooking everything up and only had a small leak where I screwed on the sight glass, probably just needs a little pipe tape. The only thing that was missing was the chugger pump. On the packing slip it said "ships UPS" so I'm assuming it will show up at some point.

My sight glass also leaked on water test. I disassembled, taped all threads, tightened everything. Still had a little dripping leak. It actually sealed itself up on my first brew day- I think a little sticky wort did the trick. No issues since.

I emailed and asked about the pump, his response.

Yes, Chugger had a major screw up and let themselves run out of pumps while switching to a new certification and there is only one US distributor. They are expected back in stock soon, so as soon as they arrive we will be sending them out to everyone.

So if anybody else gets theirs without a pump that is the reason why.

I have to send my control panel back. It was supposed to be 240v and not 240v with a separate 120v line to run the electronics.
Tim has been super nice and easy to deal with.

I emailed and asked about the pump, his response.

Yes, Chugger had a major screw up and let themselves run out of pumps while switching to a new certification and there is only one US distributor. They are expected back in stock soon, so as soon as they arrive we will be sending them out to everyone.

So if anybody else gets theirs without a pump that is the reason why.

Frustrating to have almost everything! Hopefully it won't take too long.

They couldn't switch and send March pumps instead? Frankly, my March pumps have outlasted my Chuggers.

I currently have this issue (different vendor). I just had them upgrade mine to a steel headed pump, as those are still in stock most places. You might want to ask about that option if you don't want to wait a month!

Delivered and in my car! Now I want to take the day off to set it up!

Do it!! You are gonna love it! I am going to do a tribute to grapefruit sculpin on Father's Day we will see how the 20 gal system handles 27 lbs of grain. Might holdback a couple gal of water to see what that does

I brewed on Father's Day did a grapefruit sculpin clone 10 gallons. Pushed the max on the kettle with 26 lbs of grain and a little over 18 gallons of water. Was just barely below the rim. Next time I will hold a gallon or two back and rinse. Seemed to get exactly what I thought into the fermentor and the whirlpool created a nice cone in the middle.

Also tapped my blackberry sour which exceeded expectations and kegged a breakfast stout clone that I will probably condition for a few weeks.

Love this system!

Got mine yesterday. Started assembling and cleaning today. Ran some water through and checked for leaks. Need to set up the power and a ventilation system yet but that stuff is all on order. Early first impressions. Build quality: I wish it was a little better and by that I mean I wish it didn't look like it was welded together in some guy down the road shop. the welds are definitely solid but not dressed etc. I'm not genius welder but I know really good welding when I see it. This is satisfactory I would say as it will certainly hold but also isn't the best quality it could be. I know the guys are really busy from what I can tell. Pressure to put out has an affect on quality. The pot and control panel are first rate though and those are the pieces that matter most over the long haul. Ill provide pics if ya wanna see what I'm talking about. No pump in mine either as stated about and it says in the parts that it will ship UPS. No worries I have a pump as you can see but if I didn't id be disappointed by the fact that it wasn't in there if I was 'ready to go". I have water flowing through mine. Ill wait to pass full judgement on it but it doesn't seem to recirc very well. It really seems to just blast at one side with just the steel tube in place. Maybe it doesn't matter as much with the hard sided basket, Ill report back on that later and maybe add the tubing folks use etc to see whatthat gets me. I know it seems I'm bashing it, I'm not I'm very excited to use it asap and am glad I bought it so far.

13445355_592292134264492_5457175843102089723_n.jpg

I have yet to get mine wired up, but just ordered some TC 90* barbs, clamps and EPDM gaskets along with a 3 way ball valve so I don't have to change hoses during the brew day

Yeah, i'm bummed that my pump isn't here yet. I did send the first controller back in for a swap, I wanted the 4 wire 240 volt system, the one I got was 3 wire, 240 volt for the element and 120 volt for the electronic part of the controller. It should be here tomorrow hopefully.
My welds seem to be ok, but as long as it holds together I guess it's good enough for me.

Could any of you give the measurements on that black and yellow pulley, when it is pulled as far as it goes? Specifically the length from top to bottom including the steel spring clips, and the length excluding the spring clips? It seems that specific pulley will work well for my setup, but a measurement would be really nice.

Could any of you give the measurements on that black and yellow pulley, when it is pulled as far as it goes? Specifically the length from top to bottom including the steel spring clips, and the length excluding the spring clips? It seems that specific pulley will work well for my setup, but a measurement would be really nice.

Come over and measure mine

without the clips and as close together as they get 9 1/2 inches

Received my 20 gal system, was missing the recirc assembly, but Tim shipped it out priority 2 day to me. Great response when I've called. Ready to passivate and water test this weekend.

Sounds like they are really shipping systems pretty quick now. Im just waiting on the stuff for my vent system to really give it all a good run through. I fixed the only leak mine had (at the site glass like everyone else has had) and everything is running and passivated. Also waiting on a GFCI breaker which should be here early next week

Back