Ummm Wow! I guess this is why we brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So... my beer has been fermenting for 8 days now, and I decided to take a Hydrometer reading, since I was really scared the first day with the high reading.

Today the reading was 1.015... really close to what Beersmith said it should be. However, I threw the airlock back on, and its still burping away, slowly.

So... I decided to try it, and WOW, I wasn't expecting the flavor profile. I'm putting the small glass in the fridge to try it a bit cooler... but this is going to be yum!

This is the first time I've ever tried a home brew, and my first attempt at a homebrew. Pretty proud :)

IMG_20101118_170740.jpg

At what point should I bottle? Should I take another Hydro sample tomorrow and Saturday and see if its still holding at 1.015?

Personally I would give it 2 weeks minimum. Ten days if you're going bonkers waiting and havent established any pipeline yet. As long as the majority of fermentation is done *and you want to rush it*, you are good to go. Simple recipes like Ales and Wits only from my understanding.

Ehh I can wait. Just crunched the numbers and its probably sitting at just below 4% alcohol, so I'll let it run.

I hear you. When you finally get to enjoy the fruits of your labor, it makes all the work worth it. As I write this I'm enjoying an "Octoberfest" style (ale yeast) made from a recipe of my own design. Was a little worried as when it was first done it was a little tart; was short on time and pitched a bit warm. However, after a couple of weeks in the keg, it's really settled into a fine brew.

Anyway, my point is: just wait until it's done! It only gets better!
Welcome to the addiction.

Just tried my first home brew last week and it came out way better then I thought it was going to. I can't wait to try out my English Brown Ale that is in the bottles right now.

The most important thing is to brew another batch ASAP. This one won't last long and you want to make sure you overlap your pipeline. ;)

JetSmooth has it right.
KEEP UP.

Stockpile.

Get your overlap running; you'll soon get into beers (perhaps) that need longer periods than others. Nothing worse than being FORCED into buying store product while you wait for your own..........

Ok, perhaps there are 'worse' things, but I mean c'mon.
Don't get caught! By the time you're drinking one you should at least have another one bubbling away.

And,

CONGRATS!!!

If you like the taste: mission accomplished!!!

<------- enjoying a keg-poured glass of IPA....mmmmmmmm

I'm glad to hear it came out well for you! I am going to be trying my first brew in a week when I take my first gravity reading to see if it's done, which I assume it will be since it's been 2 weeks at this point.

I am pretty nervous about it, I hope it's good! I already brewed another batch and hope to do one more this weekend so I can establish a pipeline. I'm also already looking into kegging, I can see where bottling everything could be a pain.

Just learn from my mistake... shake that Carboy like nothin else after you combine your extracts, before you pitch your yeast. My OG was way off since I didn't mix well enough

Congrats on the new hobby, and remember the best bottle will be the last one you drink! Let it do it's thing and they will all be great.

I remember my first home brew. It was many a years ago, no I'm not saying how long ago, but I'll never forget it. It was a Brown Ale, and I was a wee lad living in an Apartment. I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't believe that beer that good could come from my kitchen. That was the hook for me, and I have been brewing strong now since.

Congrats on your first Brew, and enjoy the fruits of you're labors. :mug:

I thought we brewed because chicks dig the smell of wort. ;)

So my wife has been complaining for the last two weeks about the smell in the house, yadda yadda. Today she walks into the bathroom where the beers at, and says, "Wow, something sure smells good in here!"

Hopefully she's converting over to a beer lover ;)

Back