Uh oh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Counselor

Reaction score
Hello all,

First Time Brewing and I’m thinking I messed up something big time here! I just brewed this batch yesterday... can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

58B20677-E9A9-4407-9F48-B23B95208087.jpeg

Nothing wrong, just a very active fermentation in a one gallon carboy.

You can remove the airlock, cover the top of the carboy with some foil (or a plastic bag), clean/rinse the airlock, refill it, and put it back.

Nothing wrong, just a very active fermentation in a one gallon carboy.

You can remove the airlock, cover the top of the carboy with some foil (or a plastic bag), clean/rinse the airlock, refill it, and put it back.

Should I fill the airlock back up with just water?

Should I fill the airlock back up with just water?

I personally use just a water/bleach solution. 1tsp to gallon (4L) of water. Or you could use StarSan solution. I don’t use plain water as I’m paranoid of an infection. But others may say water is just fine.

I personally use just a water/bleach solution. 1tsp to gallon (4L) of water. Or you could use StarSan solution. I don’t use plain water as I’m paranoid of an infection. But others may say water is just fine.
Vodka. Having a bleach solution sucked back when fermentation stops and the pressure changes will ruin the batch

Vodka. Having a bleach solution sucked back when fermentation stops and the pressure changes will ruin the batch

I’ve actually heard of that too, just forgot about that until you mentioned it. I’ve always got some 100 proof. 😜

Cheapo vodka is fine.
Bleach doesn't come anywhere near my brew stuff - I don't like bandaid flavor.

Cheapo vodka is fine.
Bleach doesn't come anywhere near my brew stuff - I don't like bandaid flavor.

I agree you have to be Uber careful with bleach which is what I am. So far so good! I go by smell Also as I’m hyper sensitive to the smell of bleach or chlorine. I know you can’t rely on smell alone but I do keep me bleach/water solutions low. I will be resorting to StarSan for sanitation but I think I’ll start trying the vodka in the bubbler idea.

And make sure you sanitize the male end of the airlock when you re-insert it into the grommet. Out of curiosity; I am assuming with the one gallon batch you used dry yeast?

And make sure you sanitize the male end of the airlock when you re-insert it into the grommet. Out of curiosity; I am assuming with the one gallon batch you used dry yeast?
Yes I did. It just looks ridiculous how much growth is on the top of the surface.

I’ve cleaned it out two times because it keeps filling up with more yeast about 20 minutes after I clean it.

I’m assuming it’s a good thing that after these two times I’ve cleaned it that it’s still actively bubbling?

It is, but like others have mentioned, if the airlock goes empty from the eruptious (sp? or new word?) fermentation, then any suckback could bring in infectious junk. If you have a blow-off tube into a sanitizer/vodka filled jug, it will not be an issue.

Also, every time you take out the airlock and expose it, you are exposing it to oxygen and the potential for infection.

It is, but like others have mentioned, if the airlock goes empty from the eruptious (sp? or new word?) fermentation, then any suckback could bring in infectious junk. If you have a blow-off tube into a sanitizer/vodka filled jug, it will not be an issue.

Also, every time you take out the airlock and expose it, you are exposing it to oxygen and the potential for infection.
What is the most telling sign of an infection?

If you start this hobby with a religious method of sanitizing and cleaning, you'll be way less likely to experience it. But obviously, it's impossible to completely avoid the potential. Just get good sanitizing methods and make them habit and you'll be fine.

Don't panic, this happens occasionally in the first day or so.

remove bubbler, (don't contaminate the stopper)
cover hole with plate,
rinse out bubbler,
rinse stopper with hot water (I used water from the kettle) or vodka,
fill bubbler with hot water or vodka and put it on. dont be slow, but no need to panic either.

bonus.... if you use vodka, you can dump out the dirty bubbler into a glass and drink the beer/vodka mix.

or think ahead and prepare a new bubbler before hand and just quickly switch new for old.

I have never had an infection result from changing the bubbler. Dont forget there is active fermentation (and therefore lots of CO2 coming out) going on, thats why it overflowed. next time leave more space between must and airlock. dont fill jug up above shoulder. and check jug multiple times the first day to clean out bubbler if needed. some recipes are just more active than others.

I would NEVER use anything in the bubbler that I did not want in my beer; suck back is rare but does happen.

You will know if you get an infection. the beer will suddenly change color and if you sniff the bubbler, it will smell nasty, not beer-y

also change bubbler if you get fruit flies in it.

Back