Uh Oh, mis-measured!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
As I was enjoying a few homebrews, brewing my 5th batch tonight (chocolate coffee stout), I measured my volume of my glass carboy to mark off 5 gallons. I filled up with my wort, then added water to my mark, measured my OG and when it said 1.035, I realized, I miscounted my gallon additions when measuring to the 5 gal mark. I diluted a 5 gal stout to 6 gallons accidentally! I somewhat panicked and added 10 oz of alfalfa honey boiled in 2C water to get the OG to 1.05. My Stout however looks like a brown ale. Any suggestions or comments. will it be acceptable with the extra gallon of water and honey? I'm considering brewing another batch in a day or so then blending the two during bottling. Any help, comforting will be appreciated, however the relax, don't worry, have a homebrew is what got me in this situation in the first place!

I think you're just going to have to ride this one out. It'll turn out fine... it'll be beer, just not precisely what you were expecting.

And, I have to say it.... RDWHAHB :mug: :D

I ended up with a similar result on my first partial mash batch. I did the mash all kinds of wrong, missed my O.G. and SRM and didn't have enough brewing knowledge at the time to add some sugar to fix the gravity issue. My stout turned out like a dark amber / light brown ale. I still got compliments on it. If you're serious about brewing another batch soon, I would recommend that you just focus on hitting your numbers and make that batch the best it can be. No sense in drinking 10 gallons of okay beer when you can have 5 gallons of okay beer and 5 gallons of great beer. :mug:

Back