Ugh - Medical issues mean no beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violinguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having my gallbladder out next week and I've been told to lay off alcohol completely until at least a month after the procedure. I guess the silver lining is, my existing stash will be well-aged by then....

:(

You should be thankful for the well trained surgeons and hospitals we have. If you were a resident of a dirt poor country you'd probably wouldn't make it.
The beer will still be around when you get better.

I'm having my gallbladder out next week and I've been told to lay off alcohol completely until at least a month after the procedure. I guess the silver lining is, my existing stash will be well-aged by then....

:(

Major bummer. I wish you the best on your surgery and recovery. I shall keep you in my thoughts when I'm having a cold one next week.

Hmm. I had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago and never received that advice. I even told the pre admitting nurse that I drank a couple of beers every night. :confused:
Good luck on the surgery! FWIW, I had it taken out on Friday and drove to work on Monday. Didn't feel good, but I didn't have any time to take off. I rested up the best I could on Saturday and Sunday. The worst part was when my 4yo son kicked me in the gut. That was horrible and painful.

Just had my gallbladder (and appendix) removed. No restrictions for me after 2 weeks of soft/liquid foods.

Its temporary, which is good.

+1 to that ^^ Good health is better than a good buzz any day!

You could brew a quick batch beforehand and by the time you're on your feet again it will be done in primary and almost ready for consumption! I wish I was brewing back when I had 3 surgeries on my tailbone within 2 weeks. Time wouldn't have dragged the way it did, waiting for primary to be finished..Anyway, drunken rambling short. Consider yourself lucky! Plus, think of how 'cheap of a date' you'll be after a sober month! :tank:
Not to mention the prescriptions.. A legal high is OK in my book! :D

Best of luck, I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Good luck with the surgery! As others have said, it's only temporary and it'll probably do both yourself and your beer the world of good. Hope you have a speedy recovery afterwards too

Back