Type of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeyakid

Reaction score
What water works best for brewing any type of beer? Do certain types of water like distilled or purified match up with different beers?

I'm still pretty new to the brewing thing ...but I've been told by several people that distilled is BAD ..
I've been told to use spring water ..or if you have good tap water, use that, but boil it first to remove the chlorine

Seeyakid said:
What water works best for brewing any type of beer? Do certain types of water like distilled or purified match up with different beers?

Water is a huge part of beer and different water profiles are used for different styles. This is a relatively advanced topic though and, generally, if you are using extract most water is fine. I would stay away from distilled because you need some minerals in there for yeast performance and flavor (though with extract you can probably get away with it since the minerals are in the extract). Also you want to avoid any chlorine in the water - so if your tap water is at all chlorine-y either use a water filter or used store-bought water.

If you want more info about water in brewing, check out http://www.howtobrew.com - there are sections on water for both extract and all grain brewing. A great resource generally for homebrewing as well.

Water is a complicated part of brewing for me,generally if it tastes good use it,use spring water if possible.Or good filtered water with minerals you add-making shure you know what your doing. If your mashing get some ph papers and try to keep your mash 5.1-5.5 zone.If you start partial/all grain.

I've started buying the RO water at walmart at the fill it yourself station (culligan). $1.80 for 5 gallons. I get 10 gallons at a time.
Then I use the mineral additions in the water primer sticky. It has taken my quality up another notch. I have very hard water, and got tired of mixing tap with my home RO system at various ratios. It was also killing my RO filters fast which are expensive, so $3.60 is a bargain.

this is what i do with r/o water. I usually get from city water fill up at a grocery store also. I have some cl2 and gypsum also baking soda. I check my mash if its below 5.0 i add a little bit of baking soda then check it, if its too high over 5.5 i add some cl2/and or gypsum. Not shure if this is the best thing but i know what ph you should have it at in general. Get some ph papers and check your mash ph.

Back