Type of Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I have recently broke one of my glass carboys, and now I am considering switching to the better bottle plastic fermenters. just wondering how people feel about them?

I prefer the simple ale pail. They are easier to clean than the bottle style fermentors.

Fine for beer, and other things, if you're going to use carboys. I hate buckets, so you won't see me recommending them. :D

I actually don't use either carboys or buckets anymore, to ferment anything. :rockin:

I prefer the simple ale pail. They are easier to clean than the bottle style fermentors.

THIS^^^^

I switched to buckets maybe 10 years and several hundred batches ago. I far prefer them to glass and they are indeed much easier to clean and take less room to store than a conventional carboy shaped fermenter.

THIS^^^^

I switched to buckets maybe 10 years and several hundred batches ago. I far prefer them to glass and they are indeed much easier to clean and take less room to store than a conventional carboy shaped fermenter.

Another vote for buckets. Easy to handle and clean. They stack for storage, but mine are never empty.......

For your average fermentation, plastic bucket will do the job. I prefer better bottles solely for the ability to see inside, all that light probably isn't the best for the beer tho. Bulk aging glass is probably the best.

For your average fermentation, plastic bucket will do the job. I prefer better bottles solely for the ability to see inside, all that light probably isn't the best for the beer tho. Bulk aging glass is probably the best.

IMO, bulk aging in SS is best.

IMO, bulk aging in SS is best.

Stainless for the entire beer lifespan (except when being consumed) IMO/IME, is best. You can brew/boil in aluminum or stainless, but fermenting, aging, and dispensing from stainless kicks ass. Plus, it can easily withstand pressure levels (up to 60psi for sanke, higher for corny) if you want to ferment (or age) under pressure. :D :rockin:

I'm very happy with better bottles. I'm a fermentation voyeur and must always see what's going on in there.

^ +1

I'm very happy with my BB's. Cleaning is not hard at all. Soak warm water inside over night. Rinse out in the morning. Fill half way with PBW and warm water, slosh around and let it sit overnight. Gets out even stubborn stuck on hop gunk and spices. No brushing.

I've had beers in secondary better bottles for more than a year with no problems. Lighter and safer than glass. I clean with an oxyclean soak.

I use buckets primarily. I ferment everything for 4 weeks and then keg or bottle. I use 5 gal better bottles for apple wine and any extended aging or dry hopping or other additions.

I have friends who use glass carboys, but a mans got to know his limitations. I'm a klutz and my job moves me all over the US and internationally. I don't think glass would stand up to my stupidity or clumsy movers. SS would be nice in the future, but buckets are fine for now (just don't be a dope while cleaning them and they will last a long long time)

You can't go wrong no matter what you choose, all produce great tasting beer. Experiment a bit and see what works best for you and your situation.

Cheers!

I have some of the same glass carboys from when I started in '99 with no breaks or problems, and prefer them. just use what you're comfortable with, then get a heated/cooled conical.

I agree with all really. Stainless is best but not in everyone's budget. I too gave up on glass an do all of my ales in a 7.5 gallon bucket. I love the extra space and the flexibility to do 6 or 6.5 gallon batches. I also use a 6 gallon Better Bottle for Largers or a rare secondary (I almost never transfer to secondary) since plastic buckets are theoretically more permeable to oxygen, though I haven't had any problems with either one...

I recently (few batches ago) switched to using plastic buckets for primary and secondary. I grew very tired of the weight of glass carboys, as well as the small opening. What a pain. Been very happy with my decision. If I could afford SS I probably would. But I can't.

I agree with all really. Stainless is best but not in everyone's budget. I too gave up on glass an do all of my ales in a 7.5 gallon bucket. I love the extra space and the flexibility to do 6 or 6.5 gallon batches. I also use a 6 gallon Better Bottle for Largers or a rare secondary (I almost never transfer to secondary) since plastic buckets are theoretically more permeable to oxygen, though I haven't had any problems with either one...

Tall 1/4 barrel kegs kick tail... :D 7.75 gallon capacity. :rockin: Even the short ones work well. :D You can get the stacker rings for the short ones (made for 1/2 barrel kegs) but not the tall/slim ones. :( I have some 25L kegs that are stackable, that I've aged bigger beers in (for several months) completely sealed off. Solid TC cap over the opening and done. Can do the same for my other kegs, just not stack them the same. :D :fro:

BTW, if you know where to look, you can usually find sanke kegs for not a ton of money. Depending on where you are located of course. Different parts of the country will have more/less supply than others.

I recently switched to better bottles from glass, but I wasn't sure if I could age in them ( without having oxygen issues). How long can I keep beer in these before oxygen becomes a problem? I have some apfelwein in one that I plan on aging six months.

Back