Two year old Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyCreekBrews

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
I have a two year old cascade that has yet to produce a single cone.
My other two hop bines (Columbus and Centennial) have produced hops first and second year, and the cascade hasn't produced anything, even though it's the biggest bine of the bunch.

It's hard to imagine I got a male rhizome from my brew shop, but it's also hard to imagine why this super healthy 20 foot bine isn't producing cones.

Thoughts?

I have the same problem with a Willamette plant. Next year I'm going to try a fertilizer high is phosphorus. I've read many posts on this forum and on gardening websites that indicate phosphorus will help the hops produce cones. Here is a link to a gardening website
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fertilizer-element-encourages-flowering-growth-plants-76453.html

Edit -- I've been doing more research on this and found organic fertilizers containing blood meal are a good source of phosphorus.

Probably it's not a male; males produce tons and tons of tiny, weird-lookin' (compared to the female cones, anyway) flowers, which you'd presumably have noticed.

Back