Two Week Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmberger21

Reaction score
I Brewed a beer two weeks ago and it was a brown Porter (OG 1052). I made a nice healthy half gallon starter of Wyeast 1028. It fermented out quickly; like three days. Would it be too early to keg it today?

You need to check the gravity today and 2 days later and see if it is the same if it is keg it!:)

I always ferment for two weeks, bottle condition for two weeks, then drink once they're cold enough. Tastes good to me.

It's done. That's a huge healthy pitch of 1028. It works fast. I've had a stout reach FG in 3 days with it.

Bottle/keg you're good to go.

I never do the repeated gravity readings 3 days apart etc. I find with all my batches once they stop bubbling and clear they are done. Nothing changes after that. A nice healthy pitch rate with controlled fermentation will eliminate any off-flavors associated with poor yeast husbandry.

Yeast do clean up unwanted stuff but with gravities of the beers I make (less than 1.060) that is a fast process, typically 24-48 hours if the experts are to be believed.

2 weeks is a solid time frame for most ales. Good to package.

Recent different example

Got a lager on the go now in my chamber and with it being a lager and the ferment profile I am following, a gravity reading yesterday was appropriate. 1.048 OG. Measured yesterday at 1.014 6 days after pitching yeast and a fermentation at 50F. It's still going and will drop more as I ramp it up.

Packaging in a week or so I would imagine once I'm sure it's finished. Then it will lager as needed.

Back