Two Topics in 1! Bugs/pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Reaction score
I just got some grain today and noticed that they included some bugs free of charge! I don't want to tell them because I might have to pay for them, but how unusual is this? Not weevils mind you, tiny ant-looking buggers.

Second, the pH of the water here in Tucson is near 8.0, sometimes more and I've never used 5.2pH stabilizer and neither do the brewing buddies here. We all use basic fridge filtered water. Tastes fine, but I wonder if I'd do better with a stable mash pH. Worth bothering to order it?

Thanks

-RS

Because of the warm fall around most of the US the grain beetles have decided to hatch. You normally only get the larvae. If you freeze the grain it will kill the beetles.

I think pH 5.2 is worth it. I can sparge with near boiling water & not worry about tannins. A jar lasts a long time.

I think I'll put an order in today. Maybe get some flagstaff honey while I'm at it, stuff is dee-lish.

-RS

Back