Two-tier System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcastanon

Reaction score
Okay, so I have been going back and forth on what a want in my new brew system. Luckily I have a lot of time to think about it because I am deployed haha. I have gone back and forth on whether I want a two tier or single tier brutus system, and what I have decided was a two tier with an elevated HLT and using Kegs. It makes the most sense to me since sparging and everything can be easily accomplished through gravity and I see no reason to have two pumps if I don't need it. I will have the welder install a gas beam as well, and I will just get a longer gas line to go up to the HLT tier.

I am going to use a direct fired system so I want to be able to recirculate my mash and I figured I could use a simple T splitter off of the out side of the pump to easily transfer the output from the mash tun to the boil kettle without dealing with switching any hoses.

As for cooling, I am going to recirculate that as well in the boil kettle to have a more homogenous cooling process and to make a nice whirlpool in the kettle.

I have a couple welders waiting for my plans so they can give me a quote, but I wanted to run it through here and see if you guys had any suggestions.

A couple concerns/ questions that I have:

1) I see no reason to make the tier that holds the HLT a full 24" above the Mash Tun since there is a few inches below top of the keg before the sparge port. I kind of eyeballed it and guessed that I could set the HLT about 6" below the top of the mash tun. Is this too much? Too little? I am trying to save some space (also I am a shorter dude lol)

2) Has anyone had a similar rig welded for them, and if so how much did it cost? How does it work? Pros? Cons? Pictures?

3) False bottom for the boil kettle? Or just a hop blocker like they sell at Nor Cal Brewing?

Thanks a lot guys and gals in advance. I am really looking forward to your replies. Let me know what you think of the design :) and remember, GO KINGS GO!!!

Untitled Diagram.jpg

Latest posts

Back