two step mashing with a 10 gallon cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramI

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using a recipie for all grain that requires two step mashing. First at 122 degrees for 30 minutes and then 150 degrees for 60 minutes. I have brewed all grain for a while but I have used one rest at about 150.
My plan is to rest the grains at 122, and then drain out the runnings, heat them up on the stove and add it back to the mash until I have it at 150. Then I'll make sure I leave it for 60 minutes. Is this the right way to do it? I don't have a pump. I just have a 10 gallon cooler. Any tips or advice are appreciated. Thanks.

Beerami:mug:

When I step mash I start out by doughing in thick at about 1qt/lbs for the initial rest and then add boiling water until you reach your next rest temperature. Be sure to stir the mash well when adding the hot water to get an even temperature throughout the grain bed.

I assume you are doing a protein rest at 122? Most grains are modified and do not need a protein rest. I usually use briess grains which are modified and have skipped this step when the recipe calls for a protein rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"When I step mash I start out by doughing in thick at about 1qt/lbs for the initial rest and then add boiling water until you reach your next temperature rest. Be sure to stir the mash well when adding the hot water to get an even temperature throughout the grain bed."

This is what we do as well. There is an online calculator to tell you how much water at boiling you need to add to bring your mash up to the next temp. The one we use is on brewersfriend.com. Works great!

I think that adding boiling water to a thick mash is the way to go - I'd be afraid of overheating my wort-in-the-making and thus denaturing the enzymes.

I'm with budonze. I started off doing gum or protein rests and one time was feeling lazy so I skipped it. The only difference that I found was that my brewing day got shorter.

Hi,
I am using a recipie for all grain that requires two step mashing. First at 122 degrees for 30 minutes and then 150 degrees for 60 minutes. I have brewed all grain for a while but I have used one rest at about 150.
My plan is to rest the grains at 122, and then drain out the runnings, heat them up on the stove and add it back to the mash until I have it at 150. Then I'll make sure I leave it for 60 minutes. Is this the right way to do it? I don't have a pump. I just have a 10 gallon cooler. Any tips or advice are appreciated. Thanks.

Beerami:mug:

Be very careful heating the runnings - that is where most of your enzymes are. You don't want to get too hot. Better options to either add boiling water or pull out mostly grain and heat that. There are calculators out there that will tell you the volumes and temperatures needed to raise the temp. up to 150

I'd only go 20 on the protein rest unless you have a lot of wheat in the grain bill

Modified and protein are broad terms. The lowest modification is called chit malt, then, under modified, standard modification and over modification. Protein rest temp is determined by the Kolbach or by the SNR number of the malt. The numbers indicate level of modification. Malsters put the numbers on the malt spec sheet for a reason. Only certain proteins create body and head retention. That type of protein is created during the protein rest, regardless of modification. The exception being over modified malt, no protein rest. The "glue" rest is usually between 105 and 115F. Beta glucan makes up about 75% of the grains cell wall. It is very viscous and can cause stuck mash, haze and unstable beer. During the kilning of "modern malt", beta glucanase is destroyed. When the enzyme is destroyed, beta glucan can't be converted to glucose. The 105 to 115F rest utilizes proteolytic enzymes, that don't get destroyed during kilning, to reduce beta glucan to glucose. The rest helps with fermentability, body and foam. Going from boiler to belly in 4 or 5 weeks, it doesn't matter how much protein or starch is carried over. Dumping hot water on grain during a single infusion limits enzymatic action. It might be better to follow a recipe. The person that wrote it may know more about brewing, than the person telling you not to follow it.

Back