Two sensors (for two fermenters) STC-1000?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
Can you run two sensor probes? I'm planning on setting up my fermentation chamber with 2 maybe 3 carboys in there, and wondering how you monitor temps in all of them with the STC-1000? Or do you just check one carboy and assume they're all in the ballpark?

I would never assume two fermentations are following the same temperature curve unless they were identical recipes in identical fermenters. I almost always do two-recipe brew days and differences in gravity and especially yeast will pretty much guarantee the two batches do not follow the same curve.

So you need to monitor both one way or the other. I rely on LC strips on both fermenters to compare, and start with the controller probe on the batch most likely to kick off and heat up first, hope the other batch isn't far behind, and keep an eye on both LC strips. I often do have to shift the controller probe between fermenters and tweak the beer temperature target to keep two different recipes happy...

Cheers!

What do most people do when they have multiple carboys in their fermentation chamber?

I expect it depends on their infrastructure. Some folks use independently-controlled heat belts/wraps in a shared refrigerated space, presumably keeping the fridge temp below the desired fermentation temps and letting the heaters manage the fermenter temps...

Cheers!

They wing it. They keep the ambient air temp at a predetermined setpoint and assume that it's "good enough" for brewing homebrew.

If you have batches fermenting at different rates it can throw the temps off a small bit.

What is acceptable will depend on the individual homebrewer's preferences.

Can you run two sensor probes? I'm planning on setting up my fermentation chamber with 2 maybe 3 carboys in there, and wondering how you monitor temps in all of them with the STC-1000? Or do you just check one carboy and assume they're all in the ballpark?

You can, if you have the correct version. Take a look through this thread and you will find a lot of great information and people that can help.

Warning, it is a lengthy thread, but worth reading if you use the STC-1000

Back