Two Packets or One?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yacov327

Reaction score
The reason is probably to have enough viable yeast cells but you can do the same thing by making a yeast starter. You have plenty of time.

To increase your yeast cell count would be the only reason, and yes, the reason most of us make starters is so that we don't have to buy two vials or smack packs. Use a pitching rate calculator like mrmalty.com to determine how big of a starter to make. It takes a two liter starter to double the cell count of a single vial or smack pack. Or considering its a Chico yeast strain (Wyeast 1056 = WL 001 = Safale 05), 1 dry yeast packet of properly rehydrated Safale US-05 has about as many yeast cells as two vials or smack packs, that's why I always use 05 yeast for my American ales, to avoid the hassle of the starter. Cheers!

Just make a starter with one pack and you will be good. Depending on the age of the pack, that will determine the size of the starter.

Yes, it's for the volume of yeast, but you can grow one pack into the amount contained in two packages by making a starter. That way, you'll save a few bucks.

2 packs of yeast = $14 (2 x $7)
Starter = $7 worth of yeast and about $1.75 worth of DME to get the same amount of yeast.

(Oh, and the yeast will about quadruple in volume when you ferment the batch. After fermentation, you can harvest and re-use that yeast over and over again.)

Thanks for all your recommendations. Made my starter tonight since I won't have time tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good to go Saturday morning.

Back