Two more gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flexmedia

Reaction score
Two more gravity readings I’m hoping I’m getting right. The first one is a Blueberry orange mead I started 1/15/22 with a SG reading of 1.039. Today looks like 1.002? I may have messed up with this one. I used a big brew bucket with1.5 pounds blueberries, 2 oranges, 3pounds of honey, 1tsp Fermax 1/4 acid blend BUT I used 1/2 pack of RC 212 yeast. Looks great! My wife tasted it for let’s say, giggles and said it was a little gasoline tasting but not bad for just 3 months can’t really taste the fruit but it’s got a long way to go. Here’s this one..

023F0181-5EE6-41B7-BFA9-0B4AA8FCBA7B.jpeg

FDB63422-23E9-4483-988E-CA3EBECEE3BE.jpeg
The other one is a blackberry orange.18oz blackberry two oranges and rinds 25 raisins 4 cups honey started 1/15/22 SG 1.122 today I think 1.010? Wife hasn’t tasted this one until tomorrow but I smelled it and it smells better than the first one, in my opinion. (I’ve never had a drink of alcohol) little bit of a handicap but my wife is all I got. 😁
how bout this one? Thanks folks. You help a lot!

75D0D44C-F890-486F-BB37-CFFABEEB0C58.jpeg
925294B7-1E90-410C-A651-3533441BBFA6.jpeg

sorry for the (nowadays, shaky, old man pics

Art

Looks like they are done. Cleared nicely. Bottle and let them age. The "hot" alcohol bite will age out. Give it months to a year.

Consoder looking up one of the Staggered Nutrient Protocols. TOSNA 3.0 is my go to. To help keep your yeast healthy and happy. Stressed yeast throw fusils causing that.

Two more gravity readings I’m hoping I’m getting right. The first one is a Blueberry orange mead I started 1/15/22 with a SG reading of 1.039. Today looks like 1.002? I may have messed up with this one. I used a big brew bucket with1.5 pounds blueberries, 2 oranges, 3pounds of honey, 1tsp Fermax 1/4 acid blend BUT I used 1/2 pack of RC 212 yeast. Looks great! My wife tasted it for let’s say, giggles and said it was a little gasoline tasting but not bad for just 3 months can’t really taste the fruit but it’s got a long way to go. Here’s this one..

View attachment 762832

View attachment 762833The other one is a blackberry orange.18oz blackberry two oranges and rinds 25 raisins 4 cups honey started 1/15/22 SG 1.122 today I think 1.010? Wife hasn’t tasted this one until tomorrow but I smelled it and it smells better than the first one, in my opinion. (I’ve never had a drink of alcohol) little bit of a handicap but my wife is all I got. 😁
how bout this one? Thanks folks. You help a lot!

View attachment 762835View attachment 762836
sorry for the (nowadays, shaky, old man pics

Art
I would say the first one is @ 1.001 or 1.002...
The second one is 1.008. If you're gravity readings are the same for 2 weeks in a row, then they're likely done.
As @CKuhns has stated, the hot alcohol will age out over time. Patients is key here.

Looks like they are done. Cleared nicely. Bottle and let them age. The "hot" alcohol bite will age out. Give it months to a year.

Consoder looking up one of the Staggered Nutrient Protocols. TOSNA 3.0 is my go to. To help keep your yeast healthy and happy. Stressed yeast throw fusils causing that.
Thanks! I will study up on those protocols. We will see what the wife thinks of the other and I’ll let ya know!

I would say the first one is @ 1.001 or 1.002...
The second one is 1.008. If you're gravity readings are the same for 2 weeks in a row, then they're likely done.
As @CKuhns has stated, the hot alcohol will age out over time. Patients is key here.
That one that was 1.008 was the same on 2-25-22 but I’ll give it another 2 weeks and try again patience my friend. 😁

Ok, my wife tasted the blackberry orange today. She said she couldn’t taste any fruit and it was gasoline like. Not sweet either. I hadn’t planned on backsweeting this one. You told me the alcohol “Bite“ would go away with aging. What about the taste? Will that improve in a year and will the taste of fruit come through?

Thanks!
Art

Yes... Maybe... and welcome to aging mead 101.

The alcohol will mellow, the fruit will age into something. My strawberry mead took almost 2 years, but is now one of my favorites.
Good to know! I got 2 years of patience…

Here’s my Blackberry Orange Mead, all bottled up. Your tips worked well! Anxious to see what’s it’s like in a year. Gravity formula came out 14.934

Art
EF3C87C4-9093-46F9-BC15-4C3A9ADB4811.jpeg

My Blueberry Orange Mead 4.978 ABV by formula. More than likely I messed up the SG at the start but it’s nice looking! We will see in a year.
38AC234F-22E1-4EB9-AC6B-39955F2F6565.jpeg

Latest posts

Back