Two Ingredient Kits, One brew.. any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keado

Reaction score
So i bought these two 5 gallon ingredient kits when i first started out a few months ago from amazon. I have yet to use either of them and was just curious if anyone more experienced at this might see something i could make without using the directions and combining a few of the ingredients from each kit.. kind of mix and matching.

Ingredients listed below in order of types..

8oz cara munich dark grain
4oz cara red grain
6oz munich light grain

6lbs gold malt extract syrup
6lbs amber malt extract syrup
6.6lb Amber LME
1b Amber DME
2lbs corn sugar late edition (0 minute) it says

4oz cluster hops
12oz hopburst blend hops
2oz German Northern brewer hop

Just seems like i could combine some stuff and make something decent and not a lager like the recipe says or the other recipe is some thick rich 115th dream IPA type beer..

came up with this on my own anyhow..
will keep and steep the same grains..

8oz cara munich dark grain
4oz cara red grain
6oz munich light grain

Amber LME 6lb - 60min
Amber DME 1lb - 60min
Gold Malt LME 6lb - 15min
1LB Corn Sugar - 0min

1oz german northern brewer hops - 60min
1oz " " " " " " " - 15min
1oz cluster hops - 10 min

No idea what that'd create but think i might try it tonight.. should be high ABV at least.. lol

Maybe a strong Irish red ale? Or a red iPa? What yeast do you have? Temp control during fermentation? Are you looking at a 5 gal batch or 10? You could throw it al together then split the batch with different yeast...

looking at 5 gallon.. havent really done any 10 gallon stuff yet even though i have the carboys for it.. and an 8 gallon brewpot i guess i could.. no temp control and just the standard safale us-05 and lallemand diamond lager yeast

Not sure on the recipe exactly, but you could try for an "imperial irish red" I think I would leave the corn sugar out or save for bottling.
Take a look at Brewer's Friend Brewer's Friend - Homebrew Beer Recipes, Calculators, and Forum recipe creator to give you an idea of SRM/bitterness/OG-FG for ABV..
The US-05 yeast would be the yeast I use. Save the lager yeast for another project..

It's been a while since I did much with LME or DME outside yeast starters, so I have no good idea on the amounts/5 gal batch.

great suggestions, I thought the same thing when i saw 2lbs of corn sugar in the recipe kit initially i thought they messed up, but looked at the paper directions and there it was .. hah glad to keep that for bottling anyhow. Also agree on the yeast to use. Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back