Two, exactly the same batches....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number40fan

Reaction score
...and one of them doesn't have any activity after three days. Both brewed within hours of eachother. Only thing I can think is it was the first batch and I sanitized my spoon that I used to stir/hydrate the yeast using Star San. After a couple of seconds, I started stirring. There is always the chance that the pack of yeast was junk too.

So, can I pop it open tomorrow night and toss another pack?

If you are using buckets there is a chance you don't have a good seal on them. Take a hydrometer reading if there's no activity pitch some more yeast.

Using buckets and I am able to lightly push down on the lid and get a bubble out of the air lock. I'll just pull the air lock and take a look for any fermentation. If I don't see any, I'll toss some yeast.

P.S. I thought Ordway was BFE, Colorado. Didn't know there was an acutal BFE, Co. :D

+1 to what colorowdy said....check the gravity before spending money on an additional pack of yeast if you don't need it.

I've had batches which I didn't see any airlock activity and really didn't see any evidence of fermentation, but after taking a gravity reading it was evident a fermentation was/had taken place...

Back