Two almost identical systems... but 7% difference in EFF. Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
I've been trying to up my eff lately, trying to determine what it is I need to do to get it up. I seem to be hitting right around 65% on all grain, while a buddy who has almost the exact same system gets around 72%. We order our grain crushed from the same online source, even our hops come from the same place (has nothing to do with eff i know.)

Here are the two systems.

My system:
• 10 gallon Polarware brew kettle with ball valve. No false or braids.
• Smaller 4 gallon kettle used for additional water
• 10 gallon Rubbermaid Orange drink cooler with a T manifold consisting of 2 metal braids. .5 gallon dead space.
• Bayou SQ14 Burner

• My process is as follows (I follow Bobby M's Primer). Heat strike water to 185. Dump in cooler, add Five Star 5.2, cover and let sit 5 minutes. Check temp, stir water to obtain 168 degrees (fluctuates based on mash temp). Dough in with a metal stir spoon. Check temps and add hot or cold water a qt at a time to achieve desired temp. Average an addition of 1-2 qts to cool down the sparge. This is taken from sparge water volume. Once mash temp is reached, MLT gets covered and towels are placed on top to help hold temp. After 60 minutes, 2 qts are slowly vourlofed, then i run the lauter slow to start and fully open. I then dump in half my sparge volume at 180 degrees, stir 2-3 minutes, vourlof and drain. Repeat with the last half sparge volume at 180 degrees. Boil... yada yada. The last batch I brewed I took the time to measure my preboil volume and gravity. I was a quart high on volume and my mash eff measured in at 70%. Measured my OG out of the fermentor after the wort cooled before I pitched, efficiency came in at 65%

His system:
• 10 gallon polare ware brew kettle with ball valve, no false or braid.
• secondary 10 gallon kettle for heating strike and sparge.
•*10 gallon rubbermaid orange drink cooler with false bottom. Less then a quart deadspace.
• Basic turkey fryer from menards/home depot

• His process: Pretty much the same except he'll preheat his cooler then dump water. Then add boiling and cold water to the cooler until he obtains his volume and temp, then dough in. He uses a paint mixer bit on a drill to stir. At the end of 60 minutes he will mash out to raise grain bed temp, vourlof, lauter wide open. Then sparge once with water left over after mash out. Hasn't really monitored sparge tempurature. All said and done he'll come out at 72% pretty much on the dot.

One difference I think I noticed is on my end, beer smith was adding deadspace volume to my strike, so I was mashing at 1.33tq/lb. He isn't adding that and mashing at 1.25qt/lb.

He has a false bottom in his cooler, I have two braids. Hid deadspace is much less than mine.

The two systems are almost identical. As are the processes. Aside from him mashing out and I double sparging. Our grain is crushed by the same mill, maybe at different times.

I can't figure out what I need to do to gain 5-7%. I understand that if I always hit 65%, that I could leave it at that and be happy with the consistency. But I'd like to tweak my system and get that desired efficiency.

Any thoughts?

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the deadspace. If your leaving a good amount more in the MLT that could easily account for the difference. I know if I don't drain all the sort out of the tubing going to and from my march pump I can plan on an efficiency hit. The only other thing would be to make sure both of you have accurate measurements. It is easy to throw off your calculations if your volumes aren't precise or if your hydrometer is off.

I quart of water can definitely affect your efficiency as well as the water to grain ratio. Does your buddy get exactly the amount of wort the recipe calls for in the end or slightly less? Are you both mashing at the same temp and maintaining the temperature for the same amount of time? In reality two systems built by the same company will not be the same on brew day. Why don't you both brew the same recipe at the same time and see how you compare.

We might have to do that... we typical brew similar recipes, janets, lake walk. I'm thinking for my next brew of investing in a false bottom for the MLT and attempting a mash out. Might as well mimic his style exactly to see where I come out at. My primary issue is that my eff drop appears to be user error and I'd like to correct that.

I think I'll also shoot for 1.25qt/gal exactly.

There are three things that affect efficiency in minor ways but they are adding up. A thicker mash allows for more sparging volume which increases efficiency. Also, deadspace leaves sugar behind after runnings so the next sparge dilution has more sugar in it. Less dead space, higher efficiency. Also, his mashout infusion via temperature may have loosened some sugars or finished off a bit of conversion in addition to potentially evening out the runnings volume equality. Wait, that's a weird way of saying it. It's more efficient to have equal runoff volumes and sometimes a mashout prior to sparging works for that purpose.

There we go, I was hoping you were going to chime in Bobby. I suppose I could have PM'd you but figured you get inundated with this stuff sometimes.

So my next batch I theoretically could:
• Mash at 1.25/qt instead of adding deadspace to my strike volume
• Get a false bottom minimizing deadspace
• Try a mashout

make sure you calibrate your thermometers as well. I made the mistake of being off by 4 degrees. Really made a difference in the amount of fermentables I was getting out the mash.

I just breezed through the responses quickly, but I didn't see anyone mention water. If you're not using the same water, you could have very different results.

That's very true. One primary difference, he hasn't had his water tested and doesn't apply additions. He lets it sit overnight so chlorine evaporates.

I recently got my water tested. I add the 5.2 stabilizer since my pH comes out a little high on my mash. I add some other materials but not until the boil (gypsum).

Here are my water results:
Na 19
K 3
Ca 44
Mg 11
CaCO3 156
SO4 30
Cl 72
CO3 3
HCO3 65
CaCO3 58

Stirring?

You dough in with a metal stir spoon. I've got a large one for brewing, and it's simply not stiff enough to really work the mash. Your buddy uses a paint stirrer, so I assume he's getting a more uniform mash.

You're probably getting some dough balls that are affecting your efficiency.

I suggest you borrow his paint stirrer and give it a try. If that works, try using a mash paddle rather than a metal stir spoon. You can much more easily get a uniform grist with a wooden paddle than a flexible thin metal spoon.

You also may want to stir in the middle. I typically stir with the mash paddle at dough-in, then stir at 20 minutes, and at 40 minutes. That way if I've missed a spot on the first stir, I can correct it in the later stir.

Interesting note... I went out and picked up a false bottom, drill bit paint stirrer... and changed from a double batch to a mash out single sparge.

72%, right where the other system lands. Will need to do another couple batches to check consistency, but interesting none the less.

Back