turning to vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
I've got a gallon of cider left over from a batch last October. I am trying to get it to turn into vinegar. So far I've swirled the one gallon jug every day to get air into.it, and left the lid on the top (not tight just sitting on top). But after 3 weeks it smells nothing of vinegar . Is there an easy way to speed up this process? I'd like to cook a good pork roast in a week or two using this as brine.

I've got a gallon of cider left over from a batch last October. I am trying to get it to turn into vinegar. So far I've swirled the one gallon jug every day to get air into.it, and left the lid on the top (not tight just sitting on top). But after 3 weeks it smells nothing of vinegar . Is there an easy way to speed up this process? I'd like to cook a good pork roast in a week or two using this as brine.

It'll take a LOT longer than a week or two.

I used a mother from unfiltered cider vinegar, and even then it took a really long time. If you don't even have a mother in it yet, then it's going to be a while. Months, or longer.

Back