Turning extract recipe into all grain recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Grains
4oz Victory Malt
8oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Carmel Malt 120L

Malt Extract
7 lbs. Briess CBW Traditional Dark Dry Malt Extract
3.3 Briess CBW Munich Liquid Malt Extract

Hops
1.5 oz Experimental 14.5% 60 min

Yeast 9/4/2013
X2 Wyeast #1968 London ESB 100 bill cells

Other ingredients
2lbs of coconut

This is the recipe for an extract Coconut Porter I made.. It turned out excellent. So I'd like to try and keep it as close to the original recipe as I can

I am now doing all grain batches. So Could someone help me turn this into all grain recipe?
Wanting to do 5 or 6 gallon batch.

The problem is the dark extract, Briess and other manufacturer's usually don't publish the percentages. The ingredients are listed as base malt, C-60, munich and black malt. They do list the munich extract as 50/50 base and munich. If you assume 75% efficiency that's going to be about 4.4 lb grain to replace the munich LME and 11.66 lb to replace the dark DME so say 16 lb total. I'd probably convert all the extract into something like:

11.5 lb 2-row or pale malt
3 lb munich
1 lb C-60
0.5 lb black

It'll be a bit of a complicated grainbill with the other ingredients.

Edit: corrected my math

The problem is the dark extract, Briess and other manufacturer's usually don't publish the percentages. The ingredients are listed as base malt, C-60, munich and black malt. They do list the munich extract as 50/50 base and munich. If you assume 75% efficiency that's going to be about 4.4 lb grain to replace the munich LME and 11.66 lb to replace the dark DME so say 16 lb total. I'd probably convert all the extract into something like:

3 lb munich
1 lb C-60
0.5 lb black

I have the Percentages if that would help

Dark Dry Malt Extract 48%
Munich Liquid Malt Extract 35%
Chocolate Malt 5%
Victory Malt 2%
Caramel Malt 2%

I'd use
7# 2 row
2# Munich Malt
4 oz Victory Malt
4 oz Crystal 120
8 oz Chocolate Malt

1 oz East Kent Golding at 60min
.5 oz East Kent Golding at 10min

Mash at 156 45-60min

If you can get Maris Otter or pale ale malt skip the 2 row and Munich malt and use 9 lbs of Maris or pale ale

Cheers
-Brian

I have the Percentages if that would help

Dark Dry Malt Extract 48%
Munich Liquid Malt Extract 35%
Chocolate Malt 5%
Victory Malt 2%
Caramel Malt 2%

What I meant was you don't know the percentages of base/caramel 60/munich/black that make up the dark malt extract. So I was estimating around 4-5% black and 8-10% munich and C-60 - this is based on nothing I know, just a guess. But as bschot said, maybe you want to simplify the actual all grain version.

You can add 2 oz of black patent malt to make it darker. As is the beer is about mid range of the style (brown-brownish red). With the black malt it is about 3/4 to the top of the range (almost black). Its up to you on how dark you want it. Either way would be within style.

Also the original gravity should be 1.052

You can add 2 oz of black patent malt to make it darker. As is the beer is about mid range of the style (brown-brownish red). With the black malt it is about 3/4 to the top of the range (almost black). Its up to you on how dark you want it. Either way would be within style.

Also the original gravity should be 1.052

I would like it dark brown to black as that was the color last time I made it.

So would I put the 2oz of black patent malt in place of anythingior just add to the ingredients?

Also are those numbers for a 5gallon batch?

Thanks so much for your help

Was the first version fairly roasty? If so you may want to go with closer to 0.5 lb. If that was a 5 gallon batch you also look like you had a beer that was upwards of 1.080 the first time, I guess you would say an imperial porter. bschot's recipe looks like a nice porter but fairly different from your original recipe with much lower gravity and correspondingly a lot lower IBU's. What was the final gravity of your first version by the way?

I should have mentioned the recipe is for five gallons. Also the 2 oz of black malt is added to the recipe. If you'd like you could add 4 oz of black malt instead of 2 which will make it black. I personally wouldn't add that much black malt. When I think of porter I think of dark, roasty (but not too much) with a little sweetness to counter the roast. No matter how you brew it I hope you enjoy it.

Was the first version fairly roasty? If so you may want to go with closer to 0.5 lb. If that was a 5 gallon batch you also look like you had a beer that was upwards of 1.080 the first time, I guess you would say an imperial porter. bschot's recipe looks like a nice porter but fairly different from your original recipe with much lower gravity and correspondingly a lot lower IBU's. What was the final gravity of your first version by the way?

Yeah it was pretty roasty and it was a lot fuller body that I think porters usually have

I'd like to be as close to my original recipe as it was a great tasting beer!

At fermentation it was 1.060

It finished at 1.024

Yeah it was pretty roasty and it was a lot fuller body that I think porters usually have

I'd like to be as close to my original recipe as it was a great tasting beer!

At fermentation it was 1.060

It finished at 1.024

Did you happen to top off with water in the fermenter before measuring? If so I suspect a measurement error, as it's hard to get the dense wort to mix fully with the top off water. With extract you are adding a known amount of sugars so unless your final volume was way off (as in over 6.5 gal) it's hard to be that far off the calculated. I suspect your true OG was much closer to 1.080. At any rate, good luck with it!
:mug:

3 lb munich
1 lb C-60
0.5 lb black

So are u saying to use the above grain bill in conjunction with the
4oz victory malt
8oz chocolate malt
4oz caramel malt 120L

Or just use your grain bill and that's it?

I was attempting to convert just the extract portion to an all grain bill (again, guessing at percentages), so you would add that to the other steeping grains. Kind of a complicated recipe, so you could try to consolidate some of that if you wanted. I think you could get away without the victory and C-120 at least. With what's left it actually would be quite close to Jamil's Robust porter recipe from BCS, with yours having a little more munich and being higher gravity as his is for 6 gallon:

11.75 2 row
1.5 lb munich
1lb C-40
.5 lb black
.75 lb chocolate

Latest posts

Back