Turning an Amber Ale kit into a pumpkin ale questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeBrew78

Reaction score
Ok, so I received 2 True Brew Amber Ale kits, a while back when I was trying to order an Oktoberfest. Anyway, I want to do a pumpkin ale with 1 or possibly use both kits to make it. My question is will this kit work for what I want to do. I have read numerous posts and different kit ingredient lists, and this one seems very basic in terms of ingredients. Please let me know if I should give it a whirl or just make an amber and ale and pick up another kit to make the pumpkin ale.

Ingredient list for the True Brew Amber Ale:
Fermentables:
1 x 3.3 lb can Hopped Amber LME
2 x 1 lb Light DME

Hops:
1 oz UK East Kent Golding Hops Pellets (45min)

Yeast:

6g Muntons Ale Yeast

From what I've gathered it would be like 120 oz of organic pumpkin and 1-2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (taking the easy way out). There are no specialty grains to steep or anything with this kit.

All advice would be appreciated!
This will be kegged, and will be my 2nd brew!

Thanks,
Jason

I just made northern brewer's Smashing Pumpkin Ale. It came with a small pack of crushed grains but before I even did that I took their recommendation and steeped two cans of Libby's Pumpkin with 2 lbs, I think, of 2-row. Check northern brewers website. Look at the instructions for that kit. It explained it pretty well. You should be able to do the same with your kit. I bottled mine last week. Once I crack one I'll let you know how it came out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Many pumpkin ales use no pumpkin at all. Spices and how you use them seem to be the biggest factor in most pumpkin ales. The one thing I think you will be missing with what you have is crust / graham cracker flavor. You may be able to find some specialty grains to get it though.

First a disclamer: I HATE pumpkin beers.

As mentioned above though, you can add the pie spices to taste to turn this into a pumpkin beer. The organic pumpkin itself won't net you much (if any) flavor. If I was forced to do a pumpkin beer I would make a tincture of the spices and try adding measured amounts to the finished beer in order to get the flavor where I wanted it. Just a suggestion. I have not ever done this, nor will I because YUCK!

Am I missing any thing ingredient wise to make this a better beer? It has no grains for steeping and it looks like most of the kits come with 2 of the 3.5lb malt extracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Am I missing any thing ingredient wise to make this a better beer? It has no grains for steeping and it looks like most of the kits come with 2 of the 3.5lb malt extracts.

Maybe add a pound of crystal 20 and steep it before you boil to add some color/sweetness. As well as 2- tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice in the boil. Whalaaaa you have a decent pumpkin pie beer!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks. I was looking at adding another 3.3lb of amber malt to some what match the northern brewer smashing pumpkin ale to bump up the abv% I've got everything saved in my cart on northern brewer. One other question. Since I have two kits. If I order another 3.3 of amber malt. Should I use the hopped extract out of second kit or use the unhopped amber I'm buying?

I've never used hopped extract so I'm not sure, always used Un-hopped extract so I can adjust how I want it. So in my opinion skip the hopped extract.

Sent from my iPhone

The amber might already have crystal in it. Steep some biscuit to enhance it a little?

Well the hopped extract is what comes with the two amber ale kits they accidentally sent me. So I planned on using em. It is the muntons hopped amber extract. Just want to use the kits up and move on to bigger and better things.

Can you steep some extras, or you want to go with what you have only?

I'm picking up 3 lb of rahr 6 row and 0.5lb of caramel 40L to steep along with the pumpkin. Then use on of the extract kits. But add in the additional 3.3lb extract to match as close as I can to the smashing pumpkin ale.

I'm picking up 3 lb of rahr 6 row and 0.5lb of caramel 40L to steep along with the pumpkin. Then use on of the extract kits. But add in the additional 3.3lb extract to match as close as I can to the smashing pumpkin ale.

Should be good. I still suggest some victory/biscuit. But that's just preference.

Back