Turkey day is almost upon us, what's your recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
Generally when I make a turkey I start off with an overnight brine;

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
1 gallon iced water

The morning of I let it rest a bit while preparing the "stuffing" it is not so much stuffing rather than an aromatic for flavor of the bird;

1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage

These get microwaved for 5 minutes and added to the bird right before it goes on the heat.

At the same time as I am pulling the bird from the brine I soak a good amount of hickory wood in water for the grill.

For the grill, I generally use natural lump charcoal although any kind of briquette will work as long as it isn't the self igniting stuff. Either way you want to use a chimney style starter and once it is good and hot line the outside edges of the bottom with the coals but make sure there are none in the middle, then throw on the wet wood and put the bird in the middle of the top rack. Use a remote probe digital thermometer and insert the probe into the middle of the breast without touching any bone.

Make sure all the vents on the bottom are wide open and use the damper on the top to control the heat. Basically it should be hot enough so you can't hold your hand there for more than a second or two.

Set the thermometer for 155-160 and then cover and let it go. Once it is done the skin will basically be a hard shell but the meat underneath will be incredibly juicy and delicious.

EDIT -- Forgot to mention boiling the brine. Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

DSC00806.jpg

Recipe goes like this: Get the hell out of the kitchen and let the wife work her magic.

I like Tenchiro's recipe alot better. ;)

The way we do it is very similar except I think our brine has some onions and lemons and no candied ginger. I boil up the brine ingredients, cool it and add it to the ice water and then place the turkey in it for 24-36 hours.

Then, it's grilled very similar to the way you do yours. We put an old pan in the bottom in the middle with some water in it (so it's easier to clean when it drips) and the coals all around. Bob likes to eat the skin, so he covers it with some foil when it's browned.

I love old fashioned bread stuffing, and don't like it in the oven, so we started using the slow cooker for the stuffing. It's really good- almost as good as in the bird. The grilled turkey and slow cooker stuffing really are great!

Yeah I generally sacrifice the skin for good smoke penetration, I have foiled them but you get more flavor without.

ha ha you slow cookers, I deep fry my turkeys, and they are done in about 45 minutes... Hours to cook a bird, what are you mad.

Is there another smaller bird tucked inside the body cavity of that larger bird.

We make spaghetti, meatballs, and sausage for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, Italian Style! My wife and I inherited this tradition from her parents a few years ago. We do it again on Christmas eve -- for about 25 people.

I'd guess it takes longer than turkey, what with cooking the sauce for 24 hours or more. It does turn out well though.

Dude, I don't care what it's made of, I'm not eating anything that begins with Turd!

This is the turkey recipe I've been using for a few years now.
The gravy is outstanding.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...iews/views/803

Paste
3 large heads garlic

3 large dried ancho chilies, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, torn into pieces
1/2 cup corn oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon honey

Turkey
1 17-to 18-pound turkey, neck and giblets reserved

2 tablespoons corn oil
1 1/2 pounds turkey neck or wings, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth

Gravy
2 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth

6 tablespoons all purpose flour
Cayenne pepper

For paste:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Separate heads of garlic into individual cloves (do not peel). Pierce each clove once with toothpick. Scatter garlic on baking sheet; roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Peel garlic, cutting hard tip off each clove. Pack enough garlic into 1/2-cup measuring cup to fill (about 40 cloves); reserve any remaining garlic. Blend 1/2 cup garlic in processor to form course puree.
Meanwhile, place chilies in small saucepan. Add enough water just to cover. Simmer over medium-low heat until chilies are soft and most of water evaporates, about 15 minutes. Add chili mixture, oil, cumin, and honey to garlic in processor. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover paste and garlic; chill.)

For turkey:
Pat turkey dry. Season with salt and pepper. Slide hand under skin of turkey breast to loosen skin. Spread 1/2 cup garlic-paste over breast under skin. If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing into main cavity. Rub 2 tablespoons paste all over outside of turkey. Reserve remaining paste for gravy. Tie legs together loosely to hold shape of turkey. Place on rack set in roasting pan. (Can be done 1 day ahead if turkey is not stuffed. Chill turkey and paste separately.)

Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 325°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add neck and giblets, turkey neck pieces and onion; sauté brown, about 15 minutes. Place contents of skillet around turkey in pan. Add celery, tomato, allspice and any reserved garlic to pan; pour in 2 cups broth. Roast turkey 1 hour 30 minutes. Tent turkey and entire pan loosely with heavy-duty foil. Continue to roast turkey until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F. or until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with skewer, basting often with pan juices and 3 cups broth, about 1 hour 40 minutes longer for unstuffed turkey (about 2 hours 25 minutes longer for stuffed turkey). Place turkey on platter. Tent with foil; let stand at least 30 minutes. Reserve mixture in pan for gravy.

For gravy:
Using tongs, remove turkey parts from pan; discard. Pour mixture in pan into sieve set over large bowl. Press on solids in sieve to release liquid. Spoon fat from pan juices; add enough broth to juices to measure 6 cups.

Stir 1/2 cup reserved garlic-chili paste in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until liquefied. Add flour and stir 1 minute (mixture will be very thick). Gradually add 6 cups broth mixture, whisking until smooth. Simmer until reduced to 4 1/2 cups, about 20 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper.

Serve turkey with gravy.

Serves 14.
Bon Appétit
November 1994

I'm reconverting my hot liquor tank into a turkey fryer.

A little garlic butter and hot sauce injected into the meat and set overnight...

...then into 375 degree peanut oil for 40 minutes...

We're having company so I'm doing two birds this year...

My 2nd keg of 10der & Mild is up to gas so I'll be sipping that 2.8% gem during the process.

SWMBO does her bird the same with the brine, but does it in the oven since she doesn't care much for smoked turkey. It is very good and I look forward to it every year. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by far! I my get a turkey breast to smoke this year as well.

I did a deep fried turkey last year for the first time and it was a hit. This year I'm going to brine and then deep fry. I had a hard time figuring out what to do with all of the waste vegetable oil last year, this year should be easier because our recycling center just started taking waster vegetable oil to make biodiesel.

I'm reconverting my hot liquor tank into a turkey fryer.

A little garlic butter and hot sauce injected into the meat and set overnight...

...then into 375 degree peanut oil for 40 minutes...

We're having company so I'm doing two birds this year...

My 2nd keg of 10der & Mild is up to gas so I'll be sipping that 2.8% gem during the process.

I think I am going to fry too (for the first time). I think I am going to do an over night brine first.

Going to be doing this in a dry county in Alabama, so I am not sure what or if I will be drinking.

My BIL is doing that deep fried and I'm doing
I'll start with an apple/sage injection butter
then this glaze
1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for brushing on the turkey
1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
1 serrano chile, coarsely chopped
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped, plus 2 peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Begin brushing the entire turkey with the apple glaze during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Remove from the smoker and brush with more of the glaze. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Grill the sliced apples for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and serve with the turkey.

And then make a dressing in the oven

1/2 loaf each of dried Italian, Rye and Pumpernickel
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan and topping
1 pound fresh sage sausage, casing removed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cooking apples, such as Gravenstein, Rome, or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 to 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
2 eggs, beaten

4 years now and this gets requested each year

Thank you Food Network

I think I am going to fry too (for the first time). I think I am going to do an over night brine first.

Going to be doing this in a dry county in Alabama, so I am not sure what or if I will be drinking.

Make sure to drop your wrapped turkey into the empty pot first...then fill with water until it's about 2 " above the bird. Then remove the bird and mark that level with a sharpie on the outside.

That will show you how much oil to add to the pot to prevent boil overs.

Dip that bird in nice and slow.

Don't be in the garage or too close to the house. Keep an extinguisher nearby. Park your but and watch that bird the whole time.

Drop a digital them just under the surface of the oil to monitor the temp.

Make sure to drop your wrapped turkey into the empty pot first...then fill with water until it's about 2 " above the bird. Then remove the bird and mark that level with a sharpie on the outside.

That will show you how much oil to add to the pot to prevent boil overs.

Dip that bird in nice and slow.

Don't be in the garage or too close to the house. Keep an extinguisher nearby. Park your but and watch that bird the whole time.

Drop a digital them just under the surface of the oil to monitor the temp.

One other good safety precaution for a first timer is to kill the flame when you insert the turkey. Then in case it napalms all over (it shouldn't if you follow BM's advice) it doesn't instantly ignite

One other good safety precaution for a first timer is to kill the flame when you insert the turkey. Then in case it napalms all over (it shouldn't if you follow BM's advice) it doesn't instantly ignite

But where are we going to get our holiday youtube fix of turkey fires now? :fro:

Back