American Pale Ale Tunnel Vision APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU_Brewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 64°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Dry Hopped 3 days at 64°F
Additional Fermentation
Cold Crash for 7 days at 36°F
Tasting Notes
Wonderful citrus aroma, nice hints malt with good hop flavor
This beer is a modified version of one I posted when asking if it would be possible to brew an IPA in 7 days. That may be the dumbest question I've ever asked.

At any rate, I made some tweaks, took my time, and made what I believe is my best beer yet. I'll explain the name after posting the recipe.

I chose to mash the grain, but this would work just as well if you steeped them.

Ingredients:

------------

1lb Vienna malt

6lbs Light DME

1 oz Cascade (6.9%) - 60 min

1 oz Centennial (7.6%) - 20 min

1 oz Centennial (7.6) - 10 min

1 oz Citra (12%) - dry hop 3-5 days

Notes:

------------

Mash Vienna 60 mins @ 150°F. I did BIAB, so I dunk sparged @170°F for 10 minutes.

I originally planned to add the Citra pellets at flameout but decided to reserve them for dry-hopping. Boy, was that a good decision!

I pitched the US-05 dry and fermented cool (64°F) for 10 days. Airlock activity within 8 hours. Because I hooked up a blowoff, this one didn't blow off (had I set up my s-type airlock, I'm sure the beer gods would have punished me).

At 10 days FG was steady at 1.010. I dumped the Citra right in the primary and let it be for 3 days. Then, I cranked the ferm chamber down to 36°F and let it crash. The plan was to crash for 4 days and then bottle. On the 4th day I found an awesome Craigslist deal for a dual tap kegerator, so I bought it. 3 days and multiple visits to the LHBS later, I had the required parts for kegging my beer. FYI, Nostalgia kegerators use metric fittings on their faucets, shanks, and regulator.

I burst carbed at 30psi for 24 hours, then 12psi for the past 4 days. Here is the result:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476757728.590339.jpg

I am usually highly critical of my beer, but this one tastes really good, even under-carbed. The malt is a nice backbone for the citrus hops.

This beer is named after Tunnel Road in Asheville, NC. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary by hitting up several of the amazing breweries in the area, and I was ultimately inspired to create this beer.

Back