Tube size and guage for single tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I see a of brew sculptures built out of 1.5" 16 guage square tube, some out of angle, some out of smaller square tube. I like the idea of smaller square tube.

Is it necessary to go as heavy as 1.5" for the span of a single tier or is that just a matter of geometry?

Is there a benefit of having a heavier sculpture? I can see a heavier base, but 1.5" seems like overkill.

Opinions welcomed!

Thanks.

I used .030 steel wall 2x2 tubing, Nice and strong and I'm able to lift it by myself. I love it!!!!!!!!! I did a ton of research on my own and after talking to a lot of people that was the general assumption.
You can check out my thread if you want I documented my single tier build. It works great I love it. Good luck with your build and if I can help let me know!!!!!! :mug:

you can really use pretty much any size tubing you want... hell 1/4x1/4 tubing will hold everything as long as the welds are good... sure there will be deflection but ehhh, whatever. but anywho... i don't see any benefit of having a heavy brewstand. I feel like the steel size is basically an aesthetic quality. I prefer the look of 2x2 over 1.5x1.5 or even 1x1...

ps remember that the yield strength of A36 mild (low-carbon) steel is about 36 kpsi... three kettles aren't gonna make a dent... tension is an amazing thing

Back