trying to re invent the wheel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitthewall79

Reaction score
maybe i'm just going a little to far with this, but for bottling, what about using expansion rubber stoppers like the picture provided? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397089282.834098.jpg

or what about the classic idea of rubber stoppers like this?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397089357.643433.jpg

i believe that this could be a revolutionary idea, because you would no longer need a corker, nor a bottle presser or anything, they expand, and would hold pressure, just like a traditional cork or bottle cap. The only problem I see is taking the second one apart to sanitize it, but could that be worked around? I had this thought while sitting in class, so maybe it will work, maybe it won't, what does everyone else think?

Sent from on the ground using Home Brew

Sounds like an epic fail to me.

Crown caps cost what - $5 for a gross?

yes they do, but those don't exactly work for all bottles, this could be a way that we may get to use the threaded bottles, just avoid the threads all together.

Will those really hold beer carbonation pressures? It's kinda the same as just going with swing tops isn't it?

"we" are saving screw top bottles, because we are getting free bottles from someone, and the majority of these bottles are screw top, i'd rather use them than throw them away. i've heard some people have had success with capping screw tops, but this may be a way around capping all together

Not a terrible idea, but for cost of making them, you would probably have to use them 100's of times to make any savings. I would also be concerned with breaking the thinner neck of a twist off bottle when tight enough to hold the pressure.

Not a terrible idea, but for cost of making them, you would probably have to use them 100's of times to make any savings. I would also be concerned with breaking the thinner neck of a twist off bottle when tight enough to hold the pressure.

the thin necks is not what i'm worried about, the bottles i'm planning on using actually have a thicker neck then most home brew bottles, she gave me some that are from the grocery store, there glass bottles that normally contain water, they unfortunately come with screw tops that cannot be re used, i wish i could find a picture of them

that's an awesome find, I might go looking for these if my idea doesn't go as planned, or if anyone can find a great flaw with them, do you have an item # i can use for them?

They won't work on all bottles, but I've got a dozen and they definitely hold carbonation if they're properly installed. I wouldn't even bother with the C-ring style, though, the O-ring variant is what I use.

They're also not the prettiest, since you've got this big metal O-ring and a screw/nut clamping it shut, plus it tends to ride a bit further up the neck than you would want for aesthetics' sake, but all i care is that they work.

I'm afraid I don't have an item number to search for...

So, these bottles were not produced to hold a carbonated beverage?

Interesting...and perhaps dangerous...

I was thinking the same thing - just because the glass is thicker doesn't mean the geometry of the bottles will hold up to carbonation. It might, but it might not.

I'm definitely curious as to what these bottles are - in the US I can only think of San Pellegrini and similar sparkling mineral waters that come in glass bottles, but in some other countries they often use reuseable bottles which they collect, sanitize, refill, and distribute. Then again, I've never seen screwtops that were reused like that.

Back