Trying to fill bottles using a "poor man's CPBF"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebj5883

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Pliny the Younger last month, and its been kegged for about two weeks now, sitting at 25psi. Now, I've talked with a couple of local home brew shops, who both agree that the idea I had would work (one of them even said he uses a similar setup for the same purpose). Basically, I have two lines on my dual regulator, one to purge bottles with, and another to fill them with. Its an "on-the-fly" setup that I was just hoping to use to bring bottles to poker games or to give to friends. Anyway, so I would purge the bottle with the CO2 line, then fill to standard level with the filling line, then immediately cap. I would test the pressure the next day, only to find all of them to be flat.

Now, here are the factors involved with my setup:

Temperature: 65-68°F
Filling line length: approximately two feet
Filling line diameter: 3/8"

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong. I understand that warm bottling probably isn't ideal, but its what I have to work with at the moment.

I brewed a batch of Pliny the Younger last month, and its been kegged for about two weeks now, sitting at 25psi. Now, I've talked with a couple of local home brew shops, who both agree that the idea I had would work (one of them even said he uses a similar setup for the same purpose). Basically, I have two lines on my dual regulator, one to purge bottles with, and another to fill them with. Its an "on-the-fly" setup that I was just hoping to use to bring bottles to poker games or to give to friends. Anyway, so I would purge the bottle with the CO2 line, then fill to standard level with the filling line, then immediately cap. I would test the pressure the next day, only to find all of them to be flat.

Now, here are the factors involved with my setup:

Temperature: 65-68°F
Filling line length: approximately two feet
Filling line diameter: 3/8"

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong. I understand that warm bottling probably isn't ideal, but its what I have to work with at the moment.

The problem with this set up is the warm beer (warm beer foams, and the c02 escapes with that foam), the two feet of line, and trying to fill it at 25 psi. It would be compounded by warm bottles.

To really make this work, the beer should be very cold, the bottles should be very cold, the line should be longer, maybe 5' of 3/8" (but I use 3/16" so I"m unsure), and the filling pressure should be reduced so there is very little foam. Then, the beer should be capped immediately.

Back