Trying to figure out the rarity of these kegs. Ever seen them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
Have any of you seen these? They seem to be the rarest kegs I've come across, even more so than the pretty rare 1 gal Taylor ice cream flavor tank kegs that I currently have 3 of.

IMG_0393.jpg

I first acquired one several years back when I bought a large lot of Homebrew gear in a barn out in BFE. I've tried to search for info on-line but have come up with absolutely nothing.

My original one had 7-up company 1968 stamped on it. These new ones seem to have Pepsi co. Canada on them, but they were printed vs stamped, and they're faded almost complete.

I randomly found one posted on eBay a year or two ago. The guy had no idea what it was, but he thought it was worth a fortune, because of the 7-up markings. He had it posted for $777

Anyway, today I just scored 3 more for ~ $25/ea

They're firestone brand and exactly the same as the 10 gal corny kegs except they're half the height and volume.

They fit perfectly inside a MaxCold igloo cooler, so they're perfect for a single tap 5gal portable kegerator set-up.

IMG_0394.JPG

There has been a few talked/pictured here before..taller though as I recall. Someone will know. Race track/event kegs possibly.

There has been a few talked/pictured here before..taller though as I recall. Someone will know. Race track/event kegs possibly.

Ya, taller ones are the 10 and 15gal versions. I have a 6 or 7 of the ten gal version and two of the 15 gal versions. I know they still sell the large ones. I've just never seen anything about these specific 5 gal versions. I know they were used for soda since they have 7-up and Pepsi Co. on them.

They must be pretty darn rare. They're pretty awesome though. They hold 5 gal and can fit in areas a standard 5 can't, such as a cooler with out hacking it, a standard mini fridge even with a freezer compartment, chest freezers wouldn't require a collar either.

I'll probably end up selling them or making them into portable kegerators and then selling that.

I've never seen one that looks like that in 5 gallons. Nice find! I don't think they'd be worth any more than a regular 3 or 5 gallon keg, but that'd still be two or three times what you paid.

I've never seen one that looks like that in 5 gallons. Nice find! I don't think they'd be worth any more than a regular 3 or 5 gallon keg, but that'd still be two or three times what you paid.

Ya, I don't think they're worth a ton, but they would sell for more to the right person. A short 5 could allow for an extra 5gal keg in a kegerator on the hump, or fit in a cooler for a contained portable kegerator with out hacking the cooler. I'm pretty sure they fit in a regular mini fridge with the freezer, so no need to hack the fridge or source the proper one to make a kegerator.

Im not worried about value. I've been dealing with kegs for a long time, buying and selling homebrew gear. I own, or have owned just about every corny style keg you can think of like the 10gals, 15gals, 3 gals, 1gals, and probably ones you've never heard of like the 5gal hoff-Steven corny kegs or a 13 gallon corny.

I was just curious if anyone knew much about them, but it doesn't seem like anyone does.

They are racetrack kegs. They show up for sale once in a while from vendors. Parts are still available for them.

They are racetrack kegs. They show up for sale once in a while from vendors. Parts are still available for them.

Thanks, I know the lid itself is considered a racetrack vs the new standard oval. I believe they're actually considered to be John Wood 85, Firestone Challenger kegs. The liquid side threads are very different to all others. There is a plastic insert and the size is much larger.

It's really the shape of the keg that I'm most inquisitive about since it makes it unique to all other kegs I've seen and dealt with. Most racetrack corny kegs are the standard 5 gallon size and sometimes the 10gal size. This one is very much the same as the 10gal size except half the height and volume. I'm just wondering if others have any or have dealt with them.

Some parts are still available for this style, but I think the lids are almost impossible to order from a retailer.

Thanks again.

The one (regular 5 gal size) I have was manufactured by Spartanburg. I *think* the posts are Firestone posts. I bought it from a vendor her that posted a sale. It turned out to be too finicky to be worth the low price.

I found this: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89. I'm not sure if they are still in business and the company has a less than stellar reputation around here, but it you are looking for lids, this may be an option.

Back