Trying to blend cascade and centennial hops for aroma 0, 5 minute addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make a pale ale similar to Sierra Nevada pale ale for my wife who loves hoppy beers. I need 2 oz of cascade but I only have 1 oz of cascade and 1 oz of centennial. Does anyone know if the aroma of adding centennial at 0 ad 5 minutes would be similar to cascade at 0 and 5 min? I know the slight bittering effect difference will be small but I don't know about the effect for the aroma. I also have some Amarillo hops I could use for an aroma/flavor addion instead of he centennial is that would be better.

Recipe calls for
1 oz Cascade 5 min, 1 oz Cascade 0 min.

Trying to substitute with
1/2 oz cascade and 1/2 oz centennial 5 min
1/2 oz cascade and 1/2 oz centennial 0 min

It'll make a lovely beer either way, but Cascade and Centennial don't taste very similar to each other - Centennial is more fruity. They are very nice in combination with each other though.
I think Centennial would be better than Amarillo in this case.

I know that centennial is often described as cascade hops on steroids. So my problem was trying to figure out if the aroma effect of the centennial would either overpower the aroma effect of the cascade or complement that aroma effect of the cascade. I will save the Amarillo for another day.

They will complement each other nicely, and the Centennial is unlikely to overpower the Cascade. As for the "Super-Cascade" moniker... that's mostly marketing speak. Keep in mind that Cascade was originally bred as a domestic alternative for Hallertau.

Latest posts

Back