Trying this IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwerner23

Reaction score
I am still a beginner brewer, have only brewed 4 batches and all were kits. I am only set up for extract right now would like to try All grain soon. This is the first recipe that I am making up and would like to get some input on what people think. I will be brewing this in a few weeks so taking advice till then.

Recipe:
6 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt extract

steeping grains
1/2 lb. Crystal 50-60L
1/4 lb. Belgian Aromatic Malt
1/2 lb. Golden Naked Oats

hops
1 oz. Nugget pellet hops for 50 min
1.5 oz. Centennial pellet Hops for 25 min
1.5 oz. Centennial pellet hops for 2 min
2 oz. Cascade leaf hops for dry hopping (thinking 7 days in secondary)

05 yeast

What do you guys think.

Thank you,
Jeff

You're gonna need a bit of 2-row to help convert sugars in the steeping grains. 1/2 - 1lb should be fine. Also, you're gonna get a lot more bittering off the 25 minute hops than you think. I'd do 10/5/0 additions and probably 2oz at a time.

If you added the oats for head retention, I'd rather use something like Carapils. Oats will leave a haze that only gelatin or extended cold conditioning will remove.

Yeah I was wondering a little about the hop schedule I might move the 25 min hop addition to 10 min. I am using the Golden Naked Oats for a little nutty berry flavor, when I read about them they sounded interesting and I am looking for that extra something in this beer.

Only a half pound of oats probably won't leave any haze if it's converted. But I would just drop it so you don't have to worry about adding 2 row and mashing, because flaked anything cannot just be steeped. I would move the 25 minute addition to around 15 minutes or maybe 10. Other than that it looks pretty good to me!

Have a good brew! :mug:

Golden naked oats are not the same thing as flaked oats or oat malt- they are fine steeped, and will be fine in this recipe. They don't give an "oily" feeling like flaked oats do; instead they provide a "nutty" flavor sort of like victory malt.

I'd leave it, and move that one hops addition to 15 minutes and call it great!

Oh whoops. Sorry I read that as flaked oats for some reason. I've never used or seen golden naked oats before.

They're kind of uncommon. I've been meaning to get my hands on some. With the changes mentioned, this sounds like a really tasty beer!

Ordered my ingredients today will be brewing this next week. Hopefully its as tasty as it is in my head. Now I just need a name for it. I will let you all know how it comes out when its done.

Thanks everyone for the advice,
Jeff

Brewing this up right now. I think I am going to call it the Discombobulator IPA. Someone should come up with a hops airfreshener because I love the smell of hops when brewing.

Back