trying out this stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powtownbrew

Reaction score
This is what i have to brew with ...

1.7 kg Stout hopped malt concentrate (coopers kit)
1kg of DME
5oz molasses

partial mashing 1lb oats with 1 lb of caramel crystal barley (50L)

yeast that came with the cooper stout kit.

Does anyone have any suggestions or possible concerns with this recipe?

happy brewing ~

ohhh right so say if i added just 1/2lb of 2 row to that mash of oats and caramel barley that would be fine?

A half pound would work. 2 row is about 100-120 Lintner, oatmeal is 0 and you need about 30 Lintner per pound of grain to convert. So, you need about 45 to convert .5 # 2 row and 1 # oatmeal. .5 # two row will provide you with about 60. If you don't mind changing your recipe an extra .5 # of two row on top of the original .5 #, than listen to calder.

base malt .... so couldnt I use DME as a base malt for mashing the oats? its made from 2 row .. i should have the enzymes to break the oat sugars out right?

base malt .... so couldnt I use DME as a base malt for mashing the oats? its made from 2 row .. i should have the enzymes to break the oat sugars out right?

No it will not work.

DME or LME is the product of mashing grains, and then boiling the resultant sugars in the same way we boil wort. The boiling action kills the enzymes.

Basically LME and DME are concentrated forms of wort. LME is a syrup made from the sugars, and DME is a dried for of the syrup (the water removed).

Back