Trying an Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarhead

Reaction score
I am still in rookie brewer status. I found many different receipts for an Irish Red beer. I've took a little of each of them and I am going to give it a try. Please let me know what you think and if anything needs changed.

3.5 Rahr 2 row pale
3 Light DME
.33 Crystal 120L
.33 Crystal 40L
.33 Munich
.20 Roasted Barely
.20 Chocolate Barley

Hops pellets
.75 oz Willamette @ 60 min
.5 oz Golding @ 15 min
.5 oz Golding at end of boil
.5 oz Mt Hood dry hop at day 5

I'm making 5 gal.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thank you!

Drop the Chocolate, you don't need it. Either use Roasted Barley or Chocolate to get the Red color, you don't need both.

I'd also say add more Munich for more maltiness. 1lb would be good in that recipe.

Dry hopping is up to you, it's not really to style, but unless you are entering the beer into a competition, i think it would taste nice.

So:

3.5 Rahr 2 row pale
3 Light DME
1lb Munich
5oz Crystal 120L
5oz Crystal 40L
3oz Roasted Barely

I'm also looking for an Irish Red recipe. I save some Irish Ale yeast from my Irish blonde Ale kit from NB and decided an Irish Red next.

I'm getting setup for starting All Grain and going to have a first go round with a cream Ale recipe kit from NB for the summer and then try to come up with an Irish Red

a friend of mine that brews for a brewpub here in CA has won a couple of GABF and world beer cup awards for his Irish Red. He gave me the basics of his recipe...basically something to this effect...super simple

88% Maris Otter
11-12% Medium Crystal (he uses 55)
1-2% Chocolate Malt
bitter with EKG to 16-18 IBU (only hop addition)

super simple. obviously you could tweak to your tastes...

*want more hop flavor...add a late addition of EKGs.
*more hop aroma...dry hop with a little EKG
*what kind of caramel presence do you want? more dark fruit notes...substitute 25-50% of your medium crystal for 120 or special b...less fruity, maybe do some lower crystal like 20 for a portion
*dark malt doesnt matter much as its only 1-2oz in 5 gallons. chocolate, carafa, roasted barley, black patent...choose to your desire.

enjoy

@dirty... that's pretty close to the basic recipe I'm playing around with and looking forward to actually experimenting with. :)

Back