Try my Dark Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gungnir77

Reaction score
Guys, I put this recipe together in my head thinking it just sounded pretty good and brewed it up a month ago. I liked it, it had a bit of hop flavor, very little hop bite but had the dark ale characteristics that I like. It is a very simple recipe and only my second self-designed beer. brew it up and let me know your thoughts of or you can improve it.

Garrett Dark Ale

Type: All Grain - 5 gallons

Grain bill:
8 lbs. 2-Row domestic pale malt
2 lbs. Vienna malt (Light Munich malt can be used as a substitute)
½ lb. British Chocolate malt
Windsor Ale yeast
1 oz. Hallertauer (bittering)
¾ oz. Tettnanger (flavoring)
½ oz. Saaz (finishing)

Mashing and Boiling instructions:
Heat 3.25 gallons of water to 168 degrees.
Pre-heat the mash tun with some hot water and dump it out before dough-in.
Pour strike water into the mash tun and then dough-in the grains, stirring constantly as you go.
Allow the mash to sit and convert for 60 minutes. While the mash is converting, heat 5 quarts of water to 175 degrees, and heat an additional 3.5 gallons to 170 degrees.
After the mash is done converting, pour the 5 quarts into the mash and stir and begin vorlauf.
After collecting your first running, pour the 3.5 gallons of 170 degree water into the mash tun and stir, allow it to sit for 10 mins to settle.
Vorlauf the second runnings and drain the tun completely, try to collect at least 6.5 gallons total.

Bring the collected wort to a boil and start the boil timer for 60 minutes.

Hop schedule:
1 oz. Hallertauer - 60 mins
¾ oz. Tettnanger - 15 mins
1 tblsp. Irish moss - 15 mins
½ oz. Saaz - 2 mins

Chill to pitching temp and pitch the activated Windsor yeast

Latest posts

Back