Truisms Too Obvious to Mention... until now of course...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grog’s Rules for Food (which can count as truisms)

#1 – NO FOOD in my food. which means leave out the BERRIES NUTS and TWIGS

#2 – tomatoes are the only fruit that should be cooked

#3 – it’s Carolina-style for pulled pork, Texas for brisket, Memphis for chicken and Kansas City for ribs

#4 – Ketchup is for potatoes, except for mashed or baked

#5 – do NOT get between the fat man and the buffet table. (more of a safety tip than a rule)

#6 – Cheese

#7 – if you’re eating at a restaurant, you can complain about any problems with your food &/or service, but NEVER EVER send YOUR FOOD back to the kitchen

#8 – Arby’s sucks ass

So Grog does not believe in pie.

#1 is absolutely true.

I am a sweater, and I'd look good on any woman. No matter what my wife says about cheating.

ewwwww.

6506316481_13caf410a2.jpg

NOT

l.jpg

Bearnaise is a but different. It uses egg yolks, shallots, chervil, and peppercorns.

I like to make a stick of salted butter into a nice compound butter with garlic and parsley and then put a nice pat atop my warm steak. I promise no steak can be ruined in this manner.

That's interesting. When I worked in the kitchen at the Alta Lodge in Utah, I had to make bearnaise sauce on Prime Rib night, and all I used was egg yolk, butter, tarragon and a tarragon vinegar reduction.

Bearnaise isn't all that different than hollandaise. All that traditionally is is egg yolk and butter.

Its ok to order lobster at a steak place, but never order steak at a lobster place.

I would say the opposite here. If i can't see the ocean I won't order anything seafood.

Once out in St Louis our boss took us out for to a seafood place. My first choice was steak.

I would say the opposite here. If i can't see the ocean I won't order anything seafood.

Once out in St Louis our boss took us out for to a seafood place. My first choice was steak.

Being either in a state that has oceanic coastlines, or is within a short drive of the ocean is important there, IMO. Since they can often get the seafood the day it comes off the boat, and not pay insane shipping costs. I can only imagine what a Maine lobster costs in the mid-west or out in CA. Especially when I can drive a reasonable distance and buy right off the boats. :rockin:

Yes, because all that lobster, salmon, swordfish, and tuna is from the Chesapeake :rolleyes:

These days I can get fresher seafood from just about anywhere in the world being near O'Hare airport than the vast majority of coastal areas of the US (except maybe one or 2 local seasonal catches). The truism is still "How fast did it go from water to plate?", and that is almost always a function related less to your ocean front proximity than it is major international airport proximity

that is really un-called for. care to rephrase?

Grog does not believe in FRUIT pie

Pumpkin and chocolate creme pies are fine.

You're right. "This Grog dude doesn't understand the meaning of a truism versus a terribly misguided opinion against fruit pies that was probably born from a lack of a good motherly influence in his childhood"

Better?

Yes, because all that lobster, salmon, swordfish, and tuna is from the Chesapeake :rolleyes:

These days I can get fresher seafood from just about anywhere in the world being near O'Hare airport than the vast majority of coastal areas of the US (except maybe one or 2 local seasonal catches). The truism is still "How fast did it go from water to plate?", and that is almost always a function related less to your ocean front proximity than it is major international airport proximity

Yes because I've always lived in VA...but i agree its about freshness of the catch. I still wouldn't order seafood in the middle of the country though. Just like I won't order fish that is not from the area I am eating the fish in.
I'm used to going fishing out of different harbors or river mouths in MA and also going to the seafood places right near the ocean on the coast in new england to the Lobster shacks. Living in VA I usually get CPeake oysters or crabs.

Yes because I've always lived in VA...but i agree its about freshness of the catch. I still wouldn't order seafood in the middle of the country though. Just like I won't order fish that is not from the area I am eating the fish in.
I'm used to going fishing out of different harbors or river mouths in MA and also going to the seafood places right near the ocean on the coast in new england to the Lobster shacks. Living in VA I usually get CPeake oysters or crabs.

And the best sushi restaurants in the world use fish not sourced locally. Doesn't do much for classifying your preference as a truism. Stop ordering seafood at Hooter's and classifying "Joe's Crab Shack" as a seafood place and you may find something you like that doesn't require an oceanfront view. And if you can't tell, I am teasing you a bit, so lighten up, francis.

You're right. "This Grog dude doesn't understand the meaning of a truism versus a terribly misguided opinion against fruit pies that was probably born from a lack of a good motherly influence in his childhood"

Better?

yes, I make a joke about pies, then you call me a retard and say "your momma". then go on and defecate on other postings

and you say I'M the one with a lack of good motherly influence?

are you sure you're even OLD enough to be on these forums? much less drink and brew beer?

admit it, you're just a little monkey banging on a keyboard, sitting in your soiled underwear, stinking up YOUR mom's basement, making inappropriate remarks to your sister and waiting for your 'nads to drop.

and you can't edit my quoting you, trying to make this look like I'm going off for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back