Trub question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgondoli1

Reaction score
I brewed my 2nd ag batch this morning and i had a little issue. Before i dumped my first runnings, I re-circulated 3qts but after i dumped and started to boil i noticed what looked to be tons of chunks of grain in the wort. no husks just white chunks. I used a mesh bag to strain int my carboy and all i got was goo...??? did i grind to small? Please help..

Not totally clear on what happened. But it sounds like you need a more thorough vorlauf to set your grain bed. Wait till the wort is clear before you take those runnings.

If you batch sparge... also be sure to be patient when setting the grain bed again.

Ran in that today myself. I vorlaufed a gallon but should have actually did some more. Then at some point I think part of the grain bed settled and I ended passing some more floaters. I just seived them out with my strainer... no biggie. I either had the sparge running to fast or had a pocket that collapsed... I'm leaning toward to fast.

Back