Trub Ahoy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
Wow, so I have only done low grav, 3.7% ish beers in All-Grain up to this point, never had too much of an issue with trub. Well I just did my MO SMaSH with 5lb of MO for a 2.5g batch AND just added the pellet hops to the boil instead of the bag for the first time, and I didn't whirlpool or anything like that, just dumped it all in like I normally do.

Just checked my keg after 1-hour of sitting and my poor little keg has about 3/4" at the moment... oy, I hate siphoning.

Side note I kept my 16qt SS pot at 150 with no drop in temperature using a blanket and a coat :p

Wait until the yeast get started and stir it all up! When the ferment is over, I'll bet you only have a quarter inch of trub left.

The yeast don't eat proteins, or at least not much but there is a fair amount of proteins that are just floating in the wort. They will settle out with the hops and yeast into a thinner layer.

I just checked out my keg after starting the batch last night, internal temp is at 64, and the yeast is definitely making quite a bit of motion with the trub in there! This is my first time just throwing the hops in free too so I'm assuming there will be quite a bit when it's all done.

Back