Trouble with keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader ipa

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging. Ben bottling for years. Sp I have 3 successful kegs. the fourth not sp much. It is pressurized, but no pressure out of the tap. Even when citations to co2 and I release the out ball valve nothing. Advise? What can I do?

What style keg? Cornelius or Sanke?
Do you have more than one keg on tap? If so what happens if you swap beer lines between the kegs? Does the problem move to the other faucet or stay with the original one?

If this is a Cornelius keg, remove the beer connector at the keg, grab a sacrificial towel and something pointy, hold the towel between you and the beer post, and push down on the poppet. If you don't get a spray of beer the problem is likely a plugged dip tube or post. If it sprays liberally the problem is down-stream - perhaps a clogged connector or a frozen beer line.

Note the above assumes the keg holds gas pressure

Cheers!

It is a corny. Other kegs are just fine on the same system. I tried to take one for the team and pressed the "out" valve and I stayed dry. Nothing happened.

Right then. Disconnect the gas from that keg, latch the PRV open, and remove the post. Check it for debris, then pull the long dip tube and do the same. Clean out whatever needs it, sanitize all the bits and reinstall.

Was this a particularly debris-ladened brew?

Cheers!

Can I depressurize the keg and transfer to a different keg?

Might want to expand on that a bit - like, why?
If it's to rack off sediment that is the cause of the clogging, you can give it a try but it may clog up numerous times. So it may work, or you may end up effectively racking all the gunk out from under the beer.

Definitely don't want to pour the keg into another, and siphoning through an open lid is less than ideal wrt oxygen exposure, though if you can purge the receiving keg and fill it through the long dip tube that will lessen the potential damage...

Cheers!

Lol. Not sure what the issue was. I transferred to another keg (I couldn't free the post) them I hooked up the in to the out and blew it in reverse. Filled with water, pressurized and water flowed.

So as surmised there was a plug in the keg plumbing. Hopefully you left that behind.
fwiw, when I rack to kegs I rubber-band a ~4" square of nylon mesh with an SS washer inside over the end of the racking cane to keep hop debris in the fermentor/out of the keg. The washer keeps the mesh open/prevents it from being sucked up the cane. I've never had a keg issue...

CO2_push_rig_05.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back