Trouble figuring out BJCP Category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to enter my Oyster Stout into a competition. Trouble is i don't know what category. its too low of an ABV for American Stout. i wouldn't characetrize it as a dry stout. There is a small amount of flaked oats. There is an even smaller amount of lactose.

OG 1.053
FG 1.012
32 IBU's
34 SRM (estimated)

i almost think it has to be classified as a sweet stout because of the lactose, but i'm concerned that if its stacked up against stouts that are sweeter it will fall short of expectations. this is my first competition, and am truly just trying to get some notes on my beer.

The thing to keep in mind is not the statistics, so much as how it smells and tastes.
When your beer is judged, it is judged against the style descriptions and nothing else (no stats).

Although it's not always the case, beers are in theory judged independently of one another, at least in terms of scoring and feedback. Previous beers can affect a judge's perception of flavors in your beer, but it's not supposed to and there are measures to try and minimize those effects in place.

What is the level of sweetness compared to the other flavors in the beer?

its really not that sweet at all. the oatmeal and lactose were really more for mouthfeel.

competition is in one month. i'm bottling tomorrow. there is a chance they won't even be carbed. maybe i'll just wait for the next one...

Well maybe oatmeal stout would be appropriate depending on the mouthfeel. Of course you haven't carbonated it yet, and that makes a huge difference, but if it has a silky smooth texture then I would probably try that category.

i know i'm bumping an old thread of mine but its along the same topic. my stout didn't carb in time for the local competition. i would really like to get it judged, for notes more than anything else. i was looking through some of the upcoming competitions. i went to each website and looked at the past years winners. it seems as though most of the competitions winners were local to wherever that competition was held. that makes sense to a degree, as there would be more entries from locals. does anyone know of any competitions that are friendly to shipped entries? has anyone shipped in entries to any of the competitions that are happening after March 9th? Thanks. a link is below to BJCP competitions.

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

Most BJCP competitions will accept mailed entries. Apart from there being an overwhelming majority of local entries for most competitions (apart from the NHC, of course), the other factor that comes into play is shipping your beer tends to expose it to harsher storage conditions during shipping than locally-entered beers.

I'd go for sweet stout, if for no other reasons than (1) the use of lactose, (2) the wide range in the style, and (3) the fact that the judges will see Marston's Oyster Stout on the list of commercial examples. You could consider the specialty beer category.

Any thoughts on entering beers that taste to style but contain non-traditional ingredients? I'm not sure whether to enter a kumquat saison as a saison or a specialty. The kumquat is subtle but there, and the style guidelines admit the style can have hints of orange or lemon.

Latest posts

Back