Trouble Bottle Conditioning High ABV Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
I bottled a Belgian Dark Strong 4 weeks ago, that is still showing no signs of carbonation. The yeast I used to ferment was WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast. I also added a vial of WLP530 along with corn sugar to the bottling bucket. The amount of corn sugar I added was enough to carbonate around 2.3 volumes of CO2 (about 3.25 ounces, but forget the final volume). I stirred this with a sanitized spoon. The starting gravity was 1.096 and the final gravity is 1.024. I am storing the bottles at room temperature. Two weeks ago, I tried gently rolling the bottles to waken the yeast, but no luck so far. Unfortunately this has happened for every beer above 10% ABV for me.

The only thing I can think of is I didn't make a starter for the yeast at bottling. I don't want to ever use WLP099 again, it has ruined a couple of beers, which fermented down to 1.000. Someone recommend using CBC-1 but I am hesitant to use a different yeast at bottling since it might ferment more sugars than the primary yeast.

Anyone have any tips?

It might have been that the abv is too much for the yeast to handle!

If it is the same yeast who fails you every time you have an abv over 10% you should really consider using one with higher tolerance

You are just not waiting long enough. It can take a few months, but with that yeast it will get there.

There was no reason to add any yeast at bottling. You probably had more cells in suspension than in the vial.

Sarcasm aside: wait longer. These high gravity Belgians can take a while to properly carb.

Yes it can take a while to carb a high gravity beer. Besides the fact that a hig gravity Belgian needs time to age. Put the bottles aside for a few months and report back later.

With a high gravity Belgian think months instead of weeks. I would not even touch one for at least 4 months.

This is pretty standard practice for these Belgian types.

Not for me it isn't.

I only re-yeast if I think I have exceeded the ability of the yeast, or it is longer than 6 months (mostly sours).

Per White Labs, that yeast is good for up to 15%.

Not for me it isn't.

I only re-yeast if I think I have exceeded the ability of the yeast, or it is longer than 6 months (mostly sours).

I think what I meant was that it is pretty standard practice for the most famous purveyors of the style, i.e. Westmalle, Chimay, Rochefort, etc.

That probably has a lot to do with how they pitch their yeast, i.e. strategically underpitching with strong yeast and the like.

No real harm in doing it or not doing it. But if you are attempting to emulate the Trappists, as most people are you know what they say.....

When in Belgium......

This is a YMMV value. As is often with manufacturers of anything, there are upper limits posted for various parameters.

My Dodge Caliber purportedly gets 20+ miles to the gallon. But that is with routine maintenance and ideal conditions.

you only have to add more yeast if you do a secondary over 2-3 months, otherwise there is no real reason too.

I hear people say this all the time but what is the basis? Why is the practice still so prevalent in Belgian beer culture then?

The Belgians, the Trappists in particular, are pretty pragmatic people. If it were something that netted them nothing I'd doubt they'd do it.

Because most trappists do a secondary with cold crash that drops most the yeast out of the beer to clear it and often even tertiary for more than 60 days.

Because most trappists do a secondary with cold crash that drops most the yeast out of the beer to clear it and often even tertiary for more than 60 days.

So if you cold crash and secondary your Belgians then it is necessary to re-yeast.

Back