Triple-Citrus Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm planning #2 of the four-brew weekend. Looks like a wit is in my future. Something to help bring the spring a little earlier. I have no intention of brewing a super-traditional, perfectly-to-style wit. I'm gunning for a 1.050-55 wheat beer with some coriander spice, orange, lemon, and lime, and t-58 yeast. I'd really like to get my citrus character sans hops, only bittering with magnum (and maybe one gentle, complimentary flavor hop that isn't citrusy).

How should I get the citrus character? I was thinking about zesting one each of a tangerine, a lemon, and a lime at flameout. I'm going to use a very limited amount of coriander, especially since t-58 can be pretty spicy as well.

I don't have specifics yet, but the ratios for the grits will be something like 1# 2-row, 1.5# white wheat malt, .25# oats, and maybe 3% melanoidin. I know it's not traditional, and I want the melanoidin to make up for some of the character in unmalted wheat. I love melanoidin, and I really want a good malt character for the base of this one.

If I'm feeling frisky, I might throw in some huell melon at flameout for that nice strawberry-honeydew palate without much scent to cover the other lovely aromatics. Generally, a big springy explosion that is very quaffable. That's the goal and the plan. Does this sound reasonable? I know I have pipedreams occasionally...

I am only here to comment on your beer name, I just left a post of "how important is it to name your beer" when I saw your Triple-Citrus Wit, I thought "mmmm that sounds good" as I was reading your post I realized that a name is -may or may not be important- but it sure does grab one attention and plant images of delisouse images of what the beer may taste like in ones head.

when you figure out your beer, post the recipe and tasting notes.

Well, I've got a loose plan worked up. Hoping to start brewing by about 2:30 today. I've affectionately deemed this beer...

Witrus - Triple-Citrus Wit
1.5 Gallon recipe
OG-FG 1.050-14
20 IBU (rager)

1.5lb 2-row
12oz white wheat malt
4oz Flaked oats
3oz acidulated (just to fix my tap water)
1oz melanoidin, for fun

Mash 148 for 60 min (the low temp and oats should even out to good attenuation and mouthfeel)

Boil 60 min
-4g magnum 45min
-1g crushed coriander 5min
-(whatever weight i get) of each zest at flameout. Gonna be zesting two large navel oranges, two lemons, and three limes. I really want the citrus to jump out of this one, but not "hoppy" citrus. I really hope this doesn't give me a super-bitter beer, but I guess only time will tell!

Gonna ferment around 64 with t-58 yeast. If the citrus flavor or scent don't hold up through fermentation, I'm gonna make a tincture from the zest of about the same amount of fruit and some vodka. I decided to forgo the flavor hops and literally replace their addition with that flameout zest. I'll report back in a week or so when I taste a gravity test.

7g orange, 3g lemon, 7g lime, <1g coriander. Smells amazing together

IMAG0604.jpg

Update:

One week in bottles plus a speed chill left me with a perfectly carbonated brew. The flavor is super interesting. It's basically the same flavor as the smell of citrus-based cleaner. Very clean, almost overwhelmed with citrus. Hopefully it'll mellow out, because the t-58 just isn't cutting through. Still an enjoyable spring beer. In repeating, will probably switch to a more pungent yeast and use less lime and coriander.

I just brewed a wit very similar. I used coriander, orange zest, and lime zest as well, but I threw in Citra hops. I decided to ferment with Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit. Its in primary currently. I was shooting for a super citrus aroma and flavor.

It's actually very good as it warms up. I really enjoy the lack of hop but presence of citrus. I think your combo will be really nice. The coriander is enough to not need lemon zest, I would bet.

That being said, it's time to open the first bottle of my latest session ipa.

Latest posts

Back