Tripel recipe (that i plan on brewing every couple of weeks)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan_b19

Reaction score
2.6 gal - fermenter (starting with smaller batches so i can brew it more often and change the recipe if needed)

6.5 lbs pilsner (BEL- 3.9EBC) 78.6%
1.1 lbs carared (39.4 EBC) 13.4%
0.66 lbs clear candi sugar (1 EBC) 8%
1 oz hallertauer mittelfreuh (bittering, 4%) 60 min 21.2 IBU
0.26 oz Styrian goldings (aroma 5.40%) 15 min 3.8 IBU
1/2 tsp Irish moss
Yeast: bastogne Belgian Ale WLP510

Using mittelfrueh as bittering because I feel like it compliments the spicy notes from the styrian goldings quite well. I'm trying to create a softer bitterness by using larger amounts of low alpha hops for bittering while still having the same IBU as you would have with bittering hops.
I don't have any experience with WLP510 but it's supposed to create a slightly acidic flavor with very subtle spicy hints. I hope the hops I use compliment these flavors as well. I know most people don't really like bittering with low IBU hops but personally I prefer the smoother bittering it provides.

Now the only thing I'm not sure of: Should I use any extra flavoring at the end of my boil or go as clean as possible and then trying different things from there. I currently have sweet orange peal, juniper berries, cinnamon, ginger ( i doubt i would use this but ok), lemon peal and coriander seeds in stock.

If you have any hop suggestions that's fine as long as it's one or more of the following (I have too much of each already not byuing new hops until these are gone). Magnum, Tettnanger, Saaz, Willamette and the hops I used above.

Any thoughts?

That's way too much crystal malt. 0 would be my choice for something tripel-like but I do use a little aromatic malt (5-6%) in mine.

I've never used that yeast strain and I've never added flavors to mine either, so I can't help with those parts.

I use only bittering hops in mine, as I don't want the hops flavor and aroma to interfere with the yeast-driven flavors. I have used styrian goldings and saaz, and hallertauer, all with good results.

2.6 gal - fermenter (starting with smaller batches so i can brew it more often and change the recipe if needed)

6.5 lbs pilsner (BEL- 3.9EBC) 78.6%
1.1 lbs carared (39.4 EBC) 13.4%
0.66 lbs clear candi sugar (1 EBC) 8%
1 oz hallertauer mittelfreuh (bittering, 4%) 60 min 21.2 IBU
0.26 oz Styrian goldings (aroma 5.40%) 15 min 3.8 IBU
1/2 tsp Irish moss
Yeast: bastogne Belgian Ale WLP510

Using mittelfrueh as bittering because I feel like it compliments the spicy notes from the styrian goldings quite well. I'm trying to create a softer bitterness by using larger amounts of low alpha hops for bittering while still having the same IBU as you would have with bittering hops.
I don't have any experience with WLP510 but it's supposed to create a slightly acidic flavor with very subtle spicy hints. I hope the hops I use compliment these flavors as well. I know most people don't really like bittering with low IBU hops but personally I prefer the smoother bittering it provides.

Now the only thing I'm not sure of: Should I use any extra flavoring at the end of my boil or go as clean as possible and then trying different things from there. I currently have sweet orange peal, juniper berries, cinnamon, ginger ( i doubt i would use this but ok), lemon peal and coriander seeds in stock.

If you have any hop suggestions that's fine as long as it's one or more of the following (I have too much of each already not byuing new hops until these are gone). Magnum, Tettnanger, Saaz, Willamette and the hops I used above.

Any thoughts?

I don't really know if this is a valid assessment of the style, but I never really think of it with flavoring. I kind of think about it as a big Belgian blonde beer. Adding those types of flavorings would make it more like a witbier to me. Which wouldn't be bad, just different. I would also agree with the amount of crystal malt seeming heavy.

What is your goal flavor wise for the beer?

That's way too much crystal malt. 0 would be my choice for something tripel-like but I do use a little aromatic malt (5-6%) in mine.

I've never used that yeast strain and I've never added flavors to mine either, so I can't help with those parts.

I use only bittering hops in mine, as I don't want the hops flavor and aroma to interfere with the yeast-driven flavors. I have used styrian goldings and saaz, and hallertauer, all with good results.

Hi, Just back from 50 days of touring France. I totally agree on the crystal malt. I wasn't planning on adding any at all but I'm going away from the classic tripel style here. My goal is to have something that ends up a bit like Orval (and since Orval is not a tripel that's where the crystal comes from) but with a bit higher ABV 9.5 instead of 6.2. Because I've been gone for a while I haven't been able to brew it yet.

I would brew a classic Tripel first and make adjustments to it to get what you want. All the spices would be interesting additions if you're brewing this all the time and you can handle some experimentation.

I would leave out the Carared and add a little (not much) aromatic or 20°L Munich malt instead. And increase the sugar percentage a little, but just use plain old table sugar instead of white candi.

No idea about that yeast :)

Juniper berries sounds interesting, but I don't think I'd use any herbs and spices. I ruined my last witbier by adding too much coriander, and it's supposed to have coriander. It woulda been better if I had just left it out.

I agree with everyone who's already commented.

As has already been said, spices would be fine if you were brewing the base recipe all the time and wanted to change it up here and there. But I'd get to know the base recipe well first. And spices can easily become overpowering, or just flat out weird. I once bought some coriander from a nice local spice shop, but didn't realize that it wasn't the Indian variety I had intended to buy...it turned my 6 gallons of witbier into hot dog water. Yuck!

My goal is to have something that ends up a bit like Orval (and since Orval is not a tripel that's where the crystal comes from) but with a bit higher ABV 9.5 instead of 6.2.

Pouring the dregs from a couple of bottles of Orval into your bottling bucket (along with your priming sugar) will give you the Brett you need for that Orval flavor.

Back