Tripel Recipe (BLaM Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from a year hiatus from brewing and ready to kick off the season with a Belgian Tripel. I just finished up Brew Like a Monk and am taking a shot at my own Tripel recipe, inspired from my reading. The idea behind this is to use three grains, three sugars, and three yeasts, and three hop additions a la Allagash's Quad. Aiming to stay within BJCP guidelines for the Belgian Tripel style. Here's what I have:

90 minute boil
10.5 Pounds of Franco Belges Pilsner Malt
1 pound of Avangard Caramel 8L
12oz Aromatic Malt
2 oz Hallertau at 60 min
1 oz Tettnang at 5 min
12 oz Table Sugar at 5 min
1 oz Tettnang at flameout/whirpool for 5 minutes

Pitch WLP 530 at 68° and let it ramp up to 84° for 5 days. Pitch Omega Labs Belgian W. Keep at 84° for 2 days.
Add 1 pound Clear Candi Sugar at high Krausen
Add 12 oz Invert Sugar (homemade) 2 days later.
Ramp down to 30° for ten days.
Warm up to bottling temp (68°-ish) and pitch Champagne Yeast for bottling.

Est. OG 1.075
Est. FG 1.004
Est. ABV 9.4%

Aiming for a Crisp, mildly hoppy Tripel that is light in color.
Your thoughts?

Very cool recipe. When you can, would you mind sharing results and tasting notes?

I have GOT to learn Belgian styles. That 84F is wild. I can see all kinds of esters and cool alcohols. No worries about fusels and their side effects?

Too much Caramel/Crystal malts?

I would just use Pilsner, Munich ( a bit of colour and malty backbone - not too much though ) and some Wheat.

You won't need the Champagne yeast. It should carb fine after 19 days on the earlier yeast additions. Good luck and let is know how it turns out.

Back